• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Extreme data useage by YouTube?

So my wife and I were at our favorite local restaurant and were hooked into their open wi-fi. Our son was watching some YouTube videos and behaving like a good six year old. Anyway, we got a text alert stating that I had used 75% of my data useage for the month. That's no problem because there are only 8 days left in the billing cycle. Strange thing was that 15 minutes later I get a text saying that I have used 90% of my data!!

So I check my wife's phone and sure enough, there was a MASSIVE spike in data today. Somehow we used 380 Megs of data in 15 minutes. The only app that was running was YouTube.

Has anyone else had this happen??

It's very possible that the device lost Wi-Fi connection and connected to your data network. Could be poor signal which caused the drop. Too many users logged into the open network, router, etc. Hard to say.

I guess in future, you could disable your mobile data and just leave Wi-Fi on. That way if Wi-Fi does drop, it will not connect to and use up your mobile data.

Reactions: saltz
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones