• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Extreme lag! And I mean really extreme..

ianr

Android Enthusiast
Aug 7, 2009
Just got my Nexus S today, and am downloading podcasts using Beyondpod at the moment. The phone is now lagging so bad that it's almost unusable, particularly when it comes to swiping from one homescreen to the next. There are whole minutes when I can't move from one home screen to the next, even using the buttons beside the phone/apps/web buttons. Not impressed. Anyone else seeing something similar?

Note that this is touchscreen related, the CPU use is not high, and various apps are still running in the background. But it's not responding to touches on the screen.

Just got my Nexus S today, and am downloading podcasts using Beyondpod at the moment. The phone is now lagging so bad that it's almost unusable, particularly when it comes to swiping from one homescreen to the next. There are whole minutes when I can't move from one home screen to the next, even using the buttons beside the phone/apps/web buttons. Not impressed. Anyone else seeing something similar?

Note that this is touchscreen related, the CPU use is not high, and various apps are still running in the background. But it's not responding to touches on the screen.

this has happened too...it has even shut off by itself a few times

Upvote 0
Might try an app killer and see if it's something running. Mine is real fast and I have lot of apps in it.

mines moves fast to.. but i did experience what he said about the screen getting stuck. but other than that i haven't had lag issues. By the way no need for an app killer, you can kill any task by going into manage apps

Upvote 0
I've managed to recreate this problem a few times, not sure how though as it's different things triggering it each time.

It's not lag or a touch screen problem, it's a launcher issue.

I've switched to Launcher Pro and it's been running fine ever since, as soon as I go back to the standard launcher it eventually happens again.

I wish I could say I know how to fix it properly but I'm afraid I don't, hopefully this little bit of info helps though!

Upvote 0
I've updated and just had the issue again and it's definitely the launcher app, or at least related because I've just fixed it by killing the launcher and when it restarted the issue was gone.

Interestingly enough, I received my 2.3.1 OTA update yesterday and it hasn't happened again since.

Perhaps I just haven't triggered it yet but all seems fine now.

Upvote 0
I have updated to 2.3.1 and I am still experiencing extremely jerky and laggy (sluggish) performance. In most web pages, the browser redraws (refreshes?) about 3 or 4 times every second, and you can see it doing so (from top to bottom). It's like using a PC without the graphics driver installed. Pretty much the same thing with the apps menu - scrolling is atrocious. I wish I was one of the folks who are claiming "zero lag!" :(.

Upvote 0
I have updated to 2.3.1 and I am still experiencing extremely jerky and laggy (sluggish) performance. In most web pages, the browser redraws (refreshes?) about 3 or 4 times every second, and you can see it doing so (from top to bottom). It's like using a PC without the graphics driver installed. Pretty much the same thing with the apps menu - scrolling is atrocious. I wish I was one of the folks who are claiming "zero lag!" :(.

You should get that exchanged - definitely a problem on there.

Upvote 0
I'm using Zeam Launcher. It's AMAZING. I like it better than Launcher Pro.

You can definitely tell a difference when using a diff launcher. When I 1st got my Nexus S, I thought the way it performed was the way all these phones were. Until I tried my friends Galaxy S. His phone was smooth when scrolling thru the home screen pages and mine had a slight lag. Swapped to Zeam Launcher and its smooth as butter like his Galaxy.

Upvote 0
New user here. I got the 2.3.1 within the hour I started using my phone.

I started to note that the screen would lag sometimes after installing new applications or even during download. Sometimes, I would need to press on the screen for a few seconds before it would actually respond.

I'm not sure what causes it (as the running applications are using less than half of the RAM), but it seems to resolve after shutting down and restarting the phone (much like a reboot). Perhaps it clears the cache?

Another instance is when trying to answer calls: sometimes, the screen is not responsive... I would need to press the power button twice to turn the screen off then on before I am able to answer the call by swiping.

'Hoping for a more definite solution... :(

Upvote 0
homescreen/launcher lag problem is due to insufficient ram which can be fixed by increasing the ram to at least more than 512mb. clearly nexus s and an abundant of devices are lagging because they have insufficient ram. the lag arises especially when you have widgets on the homescreen.

i found three solutions:
1) use an app called fast reboot. it instantly clears up a very big chunk of your ram without compromising background activities. sounds magical? yes it is truly.
2) for devices that has microsd slot, you can use Swapper to create viritual ram on sd card. definitely you need a class 6 and up card for real functionality.
3) use Setcpu and set the minimum clockspeed to 400mhz.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones