• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Extreme Phantom data usage, as soon as I leave my wifi.

harleydad82

Jul 19, 2010
I've searched for other threads but although somewhat similar they are not experiencing the same problems. Ok according to att's time logs of the phantom data usage times, it is exactly the moment i leave my wifi home signal and the phone switches to 3g. At that time a download ranging from 44mb to as big as 120 mb is added to my data plan. But i'm not using the phone. I have not downloaded any new apps, using my phone, or didn't anything different out of the ordinary. I have done one thing recently, that are not my usual. I rooted my phone with one click lag fix, the same day all the data was being done was being phantomly downloaded i updated one click lag fix or 3g. Now ever since then my phone uses data when i leave my wifi home service. ANYONE PLEASE HELP!!! I'M ALREADY OVER 247MB OVER 2GB'S

I've searched for other threads but although somewhat similar they are not experiencing the same problems. Ok according to att's time logs of the phantom data usage times, it is exactly the moment i leave my wifi home signal and the phone switches to 3g. At that time a download ranging from 44mb to as big as 120 mb is added to my data plan. But i'm not using the phone. I have not downloaded any new apps, using my phone, or didn't anything different out of the ordinary. I have done one thing recently, that are not my usual. I rooted my phone with one click lag fix, the same day all the data was being done was being phantomly downloaded i updated one click lag fix or 3g. Now ever since then my phone uses data when i leave my wifi home service. ANYONE PLEASE HELP!!! I'M ALREADY OVER 247MB OVER 2GB'S

Well, it would seem that if rooting was the ONLY thing you have done since the data started going nuts, try unrooting. If you used OCLF its as easy as pushing the undo button. I have never heard of rooting alone doing something like this, but it would seem that with your situation, the first logic step would be to unroot and see if it stops. If not, then its something else.
Try the APP 3g watchdog, it tracks your 3g usage and I think shows you what app or apps is using data and how much. That may help you pinpoint WTF is going on.

Reactions: harleydad82
Upvote 0
So i used both of your advice, first off i've always had 3g watchdog, and that is what alerted me before i went over on my usage, and i called att about the phantoms. They are gonna credit me any overages on this bill cycle, but only this bill cycle, sadly they were to no help in this issue, except to tell me the times and amounts of data being downloaded, which in a way i guess did help. Ok now first off one click lag fix was not the issue as i have found the problem so lets get that out of the way being i love the app and what it has done to my phone, simple and effective. ***Yahoo mail** was the phantom app i come to find out by using my task manager. I cleared everything off my do not kill list, turned off wifi and watch for the 3g arrows to transfer then slowly added apps to the do not kill list and then hit KILL. Everthing would stop and so would the 3g downloads, so i added more till i didnt' stop the 3g data transfer then i killed yahoo and it stopped so i uninstalled and very worriedly i reinstalled and it works fine now. something must of happened to where it was updating huge amounts for some reasons everytime it was on 3g, updating or downloading, but keep in mind i only get like 3 to 5 emails a day sometimes less. But anyways i got it fixed so far, i'll keep it on my autokill list now, and keep it monitored. Keep an eye on any of your yours! thanks

Upvote 0
Droid wall is an incredible program also. Install it and set up your white list and black list for wifi and 3G. Add the widget (not shortcut) to your home screen and you can 1 touch turn the firewall on and off. I blacklisted all programs for 3G usage and white listed all programs for wifi. So if I am out away from wifi and need to use 3G, click the icon and turn firewall off. When I am done, turn it back on and no program can get out.

So now I have total control of what uses 3G and not AT&T. EAsy install and easy control!

Reactions: harleydad82
Upvote 0
OK I'm back, yahoo did not work ok after the second download. I still had 70 mb's transfer from it. I monitored everything closely this time, and since i uninstalled it completely "again" i have had no phantom usage. I will continue to check and make sure it was exactly 'yahoo' but as of now that's what i am seeing. thanks for all help

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones