Extremely Frustrated: Cannot add Joey's Kernal!

Last Updated:

1. toomuchgame441

toomuchgame441 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

After looking high and low, I cannot for the life of me figure out why I cannot flash Joey's Kernal thru the SW Updater. I have followed the instructions like it said at the SDX site, but when I remove the offical 2.1 update from the binary folder and add his kernal, I cannot start download in the updater.

When I click start dowload at the end, It would give me the "Cannot open bin file" error. I've tried numerous times on 2 different computers (Windows XP & Windows 7). I'm lost at this point. Oh and I'm rooted "I think" because I'm able to see SDX at the top of the recovery screen. Just trying to apple this kernal and its driving me insane

Advertisement
  2. mikelcan

mikelcan Member

3. speedy0307

speedy0307 Member

4. toomuchgame441

toomuchgame441 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for the video, I knew I couldn't be the only one going thru this issue. I'll try it when I get back home and tell you how it goes.

And I also tried to flash it in recovery but it would always "abort" the flash, that's why I'm pretty lost lol.

5. pastafarian

pastafarian P√Ętes avec votre foie Moderator

Run the patch, which should clear up the "cannot open bin file" issue.

found here-
    Official Android DE03 2.1 with SDX custom recovery and BEYOND!

Should you ever need to flash back to stock, you will need to reinstall the update tool as you'll get the same "cannot open bin file" when you attempt to flash the official 2.1 update after installing the patch.

6. dntesinfrno

dntesinfrno Well-Known Member

This is not entirely true, let me clarify. The swupgrade tool can only be used for .tar files (which does include kernels in the .tar format). That being said 95% of developers packaged their kernels in zImage or .zip which must be installed from the appropriate menu in recovery.

7. o_herrera

o_herrera Member

why cant we just use the regular 2.1 recovery, because i have tried literally EVERYTHING possible to make my pc recognize my moment in DL mode but a pop up says (in xp) found new hardware "USB DEVICE" and the USB SSADB driver doesnt work and nothing works for it so I need an alternative to the SW Updater because DL mode just isnt going to work and i am getting really frustrated DL mode wont work for me I really want live wallpapers

8. ovrrdrive

ovrrdrive Well-Known Member

Try taking your favorite rom of choice and swapping in the zimage file of your choice before flashing it. Works like a charm and everything is fresh.