• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Extremely odd bootloop issue

RazorSharp

Android Expert
Nov 17, 2011
Boston, MA
Hi all, hoping someone can help. Having a large issue with my N5 today - a short time ago, the screen went blank and it went into a very strange bootloop; it doesn't even reach the flashing circles, it keeps doing the "Google" screen and initial buzz over and over. I held down the volume key and power button during this process to get it into bootloader mode; however, I only saw the menu for a split second before it rebooted over again back to the Google screen. Thinking that it could have something to do with the battery, I plugged in the charger, but the process continued; however, when I unplugged the charger after reading this recent thread that seems very similar to mine, the phone went dead, unresponsive to any button pushes or attempts to restart. When I plug the cord back in, it goes back into the continual boot phase loop.

I haven't used my phone much today, and was not using it when this started happening; I was working and noticed it out of the corner of my eye. I don't think I've done anything out of the ordinary with it recently either. I tell you, I'm definitely missing the ability to do a manual battery pull right now! Does anyone have any hints or tips how I might fix this? Should I let it continue to loop, or will that damage it somehow? Thanks a lot.

I had the same problem already twice. It appears that the cache partitions on the phone is corrupted and therefore Android won't boot. As long as you have an unlocked bootloader you can bring your phone back to life without loosing your personal files. If your bootloader is locked, you have to unlock it first. This is how it worked for me:
  1. Connect your phone to the PC and bring it into fastboot mode
  2. Download the Factory Android image from https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images
  3. extract the images from the zip
  4. run "fastboot flash cache cache.img"
  5. restart phone
  6. Done
I hope this can be of help.

Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0
I had the same problem already twice. It appears that the cache partitions on the phone is corrupted and therefore Android won't boot. As long as you have an unlocked bootloader you can bring your phone back to life without loosing your personal files. If your bootloader is locked, you have to unlock it first. This is how it worked for me:
  1. Connect your phone to the PC and bring it into fastboot mode
  2. Download the Factory Android image from https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images
  3. extract the images from the zip
  4. run "fastboot flash cache cache.img"
  5. restart phone
  6. Done
I hope this can be of help.

That would normally work, but in this case his phone won't stay booted in fastboot.

Upvote 0
Mine started doing this today, if I plug it in it reboots every few seconds. If I unplug it, it does nothing at all. Phoned google and I'm waiting for the email so I can arrange a replacement, been 5 hours since I phoned. Only problem is they don't have any black 32gb ones left in the UK so I'm getting red.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones