Extremely slow USB transferSupport

Last Updated:

1. Hi Ho

Hi Ho Active Member This Topic's Starter

Hey guys! This is my first Android phone. I actually switched from Verizon to get it (something I never thought I'd do). So far it is absolutely awesome! Something that could make it more awesome, however, is to load it up with music and also get the test videos and pics I took off the phone to view on my PC.

That's where the problem lies. When I plug the phone into my PC (Win 7x64) and put the phone in disk mode it pops up and I can see everything that's on the phone. First I tried copying some music. It started copying at an abysmal 300-600 KB/s. It was going to take two hours to complete. I canceled it which subsequently froze Windows Explorer until I unplugged the phone from the USB port.

Next, I tried to copy the 40 MB video I took earlier. As soon as I click on the video (just select it, not open it) Explorer stops responding until I unplug the phone.

This doesn't make any sense. I realize I can remove the SD card and stick it in a card reader but that is a huge inconvenience since it is under the battery. Has anyone else had trouble with this?

I have tried three different PC's and multiple USB ports on each.

Advertisement
  2. Oridus

Oridus Well-Known Member

You also have to realize that the 8 gig card they sent is only a class 2, which is on the low end of transfer speed.

3. Hi Ho

The 8 GB SD card in my Blackberry Storm is also a class 2 and I can transfer files to that phone at 20+ MB/s.

4. Oridus

Oridus Well-Known Member

I've had no problem transfering files. I transfered 1.6 gigs of movie data from my pc to sd card via USB, and it took like 4 mins. No big deal.

5. Hi Ho

Hmmm... something is up then. I wonder if I should swap SD cards and see if that makes a difference. Could I just image copy the one in the Evo onto the other?

6. Hi Ho

OK I think I got it working. The one thing I did not try was a different USB cable. I have quite a few MicroUSB cables around here and I was using the one closest to me at the time. I just tried the one that came with the phone and it works fine. Huh? Is this some kind of proprietary cable? When I use the cable that did not work on the Evo to transfer files to my Blackberry it works fine. I don't think that cable is bad.

7. KatherX

KatherX New Member

I have also been experiencing some problems. I'm new to the Android market and have just picked up an HTC EVO 4G on 6/4. While my phone is plugged in using the USB cable on my work computer (Windows XP64), it will reset itself several times a day. All of a sudden the 4G welcome screen will launch. When transferring music within Windows Explorer... the data transfer speed crawls also. What's even weirder is that the phone has reset while I'd been transferring music too.

8. KatherX

KatherX New Member

I am using the cable that came with the phone and get the same results.

9. drksilenc

drksilenc Well-Known Member

the cable that comes with it is actually a hq cable with a little thicker wires. that could be the reason

10. KatherX

KatherX New Member

The reason why the transfer rate is slow is because of the stock cable it came with?

11. gerberty

gerberty New Member

I'm experiencing exactly the same problem since I upgraded my HTC Legend to Froyo..?! Before that I had no problem to transfer up to 2 Gb of MP3 within minutes..
    Do I have to try with another cable?? This seems to be a weird solution to me..

12. ThatNewAndroidGuy

ThatNewAndroidGuy Well-Known Member

This might be a hassle, but VERY VERY useful if you are transfering large files.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...re=Micro_SD_USB_reader-_-20-134-989-_-Product

You need a USB micro SD adapter, I personally purchased this one. After I bought it, the speeds I get from it are amazing, I transferred a few 700MB movie files within minutes. Now newegg used to have just the adapter, looks like they took it off. But they do have other stand alone adapters on the site.

EDIT: I found the adapter, so changed the link.

13. issak

issak New Member

I also noticed very slow transfer speeds with my Samsung Galaxy Spica i5700, 8GBSanDisk microSD, stock cable and Windows 7 x64. I get about 3000kB/s, and with SanDisk Mobile Mate Micro (microSD and M2 card reader) I get up to 12000kB/s.

Can anybody explain why the difference? Is it because of Linux (android is based on linux, not that I use linux on PC) or sth? I dunno...