1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

ExtSdcard vs SD card??General

1. kasper007

kasper007 Well-Known Member

Sorry if this question has been asked before. Why does the GS3 just automatically save every download to phone stoage. When I go to "my files" it shows extsdcard and Sdcard which is the phone storage I guess? When I download wallpapers from Zedge, or pics from the internet, they aren't being saved on my sd card that I put in the phone. Why is that? Can I change that? When I go to my gallery I have 2 download folders, one from before my gs3, then all the new ones I've downloaded with the gs3, It separates all my old pics from all the new ones I'm taking with my new phone, Why wont it just combine everything? Do I have to move everything to my sd card myself all the time?

Advertisement
    :
  2. Szadzik

Szadzik Well-Known Member

Can only be changed in each app separately. If Zedge has a setting for that, you can, if not, well
  3. GoldenDiamond

GoldenDiamond Well-Known Member

extsdcard is your external card
    sdcard is your internal storage.

I know you can get your camera to export your photos into your external. not sure about zedge.
  4. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

/sdcard is the default android location for micro sd cards, so all android apps save here by default. Often you can't change this.

Samsung however have set the sgs3 so that /sdcard is actually on the internal memory (EMMC) so the apps are doing what they're supposed to but the s3 has changed things
  5. cxs6957

cxs6957 Well-Known Member

I now own the GS3 and this change is by far and away the most effing annoying thing I have ever ever ever ever had to deal with on an Android, and I hope there will a software update to change this. Anyway, I have heard the 64 GB version will finally be released soon, but until then my solution has been to get a larger SD card, I am only up to 32 GB currently but my next paycheck will see me buying a 64 GB. Go to the app My Files and search your internal memory from there, and move all music, videos and pictures to your external SD card. It gets old but it helps and then only your apps and a few other things will take up the internal storage. If you're on a good data plan you can use cloud storage as well and keep your actual phone cleared up from your personal files.
  6. Szadzik

Just to let you know guys - it is not only Samsung doing this, Motorola Razr has exactly the same setup. It is an Android thing, not a Samsung thing.
  7. SUroot

No its not an "android thing".

Like I said, /sdcard is the mount point (by default in Android) for Micro SD cards.

Samsung changed it so its a Samsung thing. If Moto also changed it, its a Samsung AND Moto thing. It is not an Android thing
  8. Heisenberg123

Heisenberg123 Well-Known Member

like already said any apps that are downloading or saving data would be specific to that app if you can change to location, I do not see this option in zedge, just use My Files to move them later or do it while plugged into your PC
  9. kasper007

Well this kinda sucks...I love this phone, but little things like this,and mounting as a MSD via usb is pretty annoying...I wish it worked like my Dinc2....So Every ringtone, notification sound, picture/wallpaper I download is being stored on the phones memory by default, and I have to go into "my files" and move it to the sd card myself is pretty much what I have to always do now huh?....SIGH!
  10. kasper007

I meant NOT mounting as a mass storage device by the way...annoying!
  11. Heisenberg123

it really only takes a few seconds to move them, I guess coming from iOS its a million times better than what i use to have to do but I guess you had it even better before
  12. breezex

breezex Well-Known Member

My 2 cents. Not every android device has an external sdcard slot. So in order to be consistent, be backwards compatible, and not require every app to change or be re-programmed, the internal memory is called sdcard. It's always present and can be counted on for reads and writes while the external sdcard is an option. It really is an Android thing.
  13. SUroot

I disagree.

Android works as it should. /sdcard is a mount point. It is supposed to be where the micro sd card goes. That is by design. If a hardware manufacturer has NO SD slot, internal memory can have a partition called /sdcard, its of little consequence and changes nothing.

If a hardware manufacturer decides to CHANGE ANDROID so the mount point /sdcard is NOT a micro sdcard, but still have an sd card, then that's not an android thing. Its up to the manufacturer to provision support for this functionality properly. Samsung IMHO have not done this. All they need is a simple app that will redirect whatever directories to /extSdCard and everyone would have been happy.
  14. kasper007

Yes, what he wrote....+1
  15. rborelli

rborelli Well-Known Member

Not sure if it matters or not but in the My Files app under Settings you can set the home directory to be the external SD card.

Bob
    saltz likes this.
  16. kasper007

Might be a stupid question, but what exactly happens when you do that?
  17. SUroot

I'm guessing when you open the "My Files" app, you will be at the root of the external SD card instead of the internal one.
  18. Heisenberg123

yup exactly what it does, your just settting the default "home" location so when you hit the house in the My Files app you go to whatever location you set
  19. kasper007

But does the Sdcard/ (internal memory) still serve as the default save file when downloading pics, music etc, etc?
  20. rborelli

rborelli Well-Known Member

Oh snap!! Never thought of that.
  21. Heisenberg123

yes your only setting the Home location for the app, ie what pressing the Home(house) will bring you too
    SUroot likes this.
  22. yungwunn911

yungwunn911 Active Member

will this folder get wiped if you are flashing roms?
  23. Minimike

Minimike Well-Known Member

Google controls Android. Google wants to see everything you have in order to make money off it. Therefore Google wants you to use the cloud instead of a removable SD card. Google is the culprit.
  24. Szadzik

If you flash via ODIN and use a standard Samsung ROM - no.

I have no idea how you got to that conclusion, but it is wrong.
  25. razzell2

razzell2 New Member

Holy cow, what a pain in the butt.
    I thought I had set everything up in my S3 to be saved to my 32 gb external micro card, but after reading this I found that everything...my music, my photographs, videos of my grandkids (taken on with the cam and shared via SBeam), and a couple of movies I have on the phone... were all saved to the phones internal storage.
    So I had to go into My Files, open the sdcard0, find my stuff, click on the folders, and Move them to the ExtSdcard.
    Sheesh.
    Doing that certainly cleared out a bunch of space on my phone storage (the reason I added 32 gigs of memory in the first place), but what bothers me is, do I have to do this every single time I download a pic, take a pic, add music, download music....etc?!
    What a major pain in the booty.