• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root EZ 2.2 root & Slapkernel install with SWUpdater

Billkwando

Android Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2010
USA
I did this on my own Sprint Intercept (w/ 2.2) and it's rooted and working great.

Download SlapKernel-v1.1.tar here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?yebgahr7cfr0d5u

Then follow the instructions (steps 1-6) from this thread:

http://androidforums.com/samsung-in...upgrade-2-2-folks-whose-ota-update-fails.html

Step 1 is optional. You do NOT need to reinstall any apps. I flashed the kernel and all my apps were just fine.

Substitute the slapkernel tar for "SPH-M910_MR_DF27_REL_156.tar" referenced in step 5.

After the phone boots up the first time, you will need to download Superuser from the Market. Lastly, download Droid Tweaker from the market and clear your dalvik cache with it (it's a checkbox...I didn't mess with anything else in there).

The dalvik cache part may be an unnecessary step, but that's what I did.

Finally, reboot your phone.

You can tell slapkernel is installed by going into About Phone, and Droid Tweaker will confirm you're rooted. I went straight for Titanium Backup. ;)

I haven't figured out how to safely remove bloatware, so you're on your own there, unless someone else can tell us?

Woops, got my answer when I read the thread, sorry about that.

No prob! I have to say that ever since I did the root/kernel thing, my phone's been running a million times better. It's only started acting up twice since, and a reboot fixed it, good as new.

It's nice to be able to rely on the phone to the point where I almost forget it was ever crappy.

Upvote 0
I'm moving on pretty quickly now. Using you as a guide, I installed Ubuntoid v6 and a gingerbread theme. I'll be an expert in no time :)

I got all my wifes apps and phone book put back in so she can't tell at me.

Now on to my Evo 4g. This one scares me because it will cost me a bit more money if I brick it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones