• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

F7 - Horrible GPS or Defective Unit - Please Test

I bought my LG optimus F7 a week ago and have had nothing but problems with the GPS so i did a test using my previous phone and sure enough the LG's GPS sensor is not at all sensitive enough to be useful imo.

Both phones where sitting next to each other.

Boost Force
Boost%20Force%20GPS.jpg

LG Optimus F7
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12942956/LG Optimus F7.jpg

Upvote 0
I got tired of trying to find fixes, nothing was really working out very well, so I bought a US GlobalSat BT-821 used from eBay. It has made up for the poor GPS performance, BIG TIME. It locks extremely quickly, and I am getting accuracy of 1 to 1.5 meters.

It is a shame to have to buy a supplemental GPS receiver for a new phone that was not cheap, but there was no good alternative - had it too loong to take it back to Best Buy, and would have no phone for 2 weeks while it was sent back to LG. And who knows if it would have been working 100% when I got it back!

So to all having this issue, you may want to just turn off the internal GPS and get a bluetooth unit like I did. The only thing that bums me out is that tools like GPS Test from the play store don't show the actual satellite data, though GPSInfo does.

Anyway, my followup and 2 cents.

Ian

Reactions: mrsmumbles
Upvote 0
Have you guys been deleting bloatware after setting your phones up? I have done the same. Seems though (so far anyways) that I've deleted most but not all. Still have boost apps, application stubs as well as some of the lg apps still installed and so far it seems gps has maintained the level of accuracy it has after doing a factory reset. Even after updating the maps app. SO far so good so will keep you guys posted. Has anyone else tried this?

Upvote 0
I just installed Sygic on mine. And it works bang on. So far anyway. I only went a couple of blocks though. I am going to test it out more right now. Scout and google maps are garbage on this phone.

Going to test price is 33.99 for USA. There is a one week free trial as well. SO at least you can try it out!

Final word on Sygic. GPS works decent. Program does not cover off street parking lot navigation. I would give the program a 5 out of 10. Not worth buying for the price. But if good GPS is not a deal breaker for the Boost F7 then Sygic is the best so far for this phone and is better than nothing!

Reactions: mrsmumbles
Upvote 0
I didnt have ptoblem with my gps until Iupdated my google map. so I end up using qualcomm enhance locations and turn on gps and it lock in fast my locations. I never had problems with gps ever since

I've been having the GPS issue since August and it's finally driven me crazy! I found this forum and would like to try a few of the solutions...what do I need to do to use qualcomm enhance locations and turn on gps. I have no idea how to access that. Would you please let me know, step by step, what you did to make your GPS work? Thanks!

Upvote 0
Well thats good new..that makes me feel better....i called LG and they told me to send it in for ten days and i saidsend me another phone first and then ill send it in..they cant exspect me to go with out my 300 dollar phone for ten days are you kidding....and boost told me they cant replace it becuse it dont have any phisical damage and i pay for the insurace and i told them damge on the outside is no differernt than the damage on the inside...that pissed me off....so anyways please send me that update to my phone as soon as yall get it done...i really need the gps.............................dollar phone

Upvote 0
GPS is useless with my F7 as well. It's not even whether or not it can get a lock or not. It seems to only really be able estimate my location with my network instead of the GPS radio and I assume this is true because it will locate me somewhere like over a mile from where I'm at and bounce back and forth between two locations.

I'm not convinced fully that it's a hardware problem though. I think this can be fixed by LG or someone more knowledgeable with android and GPS. I have been able to get it to lock to within like 20 feet repeatedly with the LG Hidden menu GPS test.

Open up your F7's dialer and type in
3845#*870#
This will bring up the LG service menu. Scroll down to GPS Test and select it. Then select GNSSPosTest and it will bring up some testing tools. If you hit your menu button after that, you can select one of these options: Single Fix, Tracking, or Delete Aiding Data. I have been able to get it to lock on selecting Tracking and Single Fix and then it has the option to view the lock in Google Maps, Earth, or Radar. That's just about the only way I can get it to lock on and it actually be accurate.

If it's able to lock on this way, then it must just be a software problem. Y'all should take a look and see if you can figure something out. It's beyond me.

EDIT: I just saw that someone else already posted the LG Hidden Menu stuff. Well, hopefully the new update fixes this.

Upvote 0
Well my gps was working for about 6 hours...now its back up to not working again...i down loaded one of those gps testters and after it scans the test...the gps will work....but after a hour it goes back to its old ways....damit...so i guess it is the softwhare program in the phone..is not working ....there is a update program that came out about three months ago..i used that update WHEN IT CAME OUT AND MY ICON FOR MY GPS DISAPEARED...SO I WAS LIKE WHAT THE F......I HADE TO GO INTO MY APPS UPDATES AND UNINSTALL THE UPDATE TO GET MY GPS ICON BACK AND I JUST THOUGHT THAT WAS WERD....EVER SENCE THEN MY GPS HAS NOT WORKED..M.SO THE STORY END ....ITS MOST DEFANTTLY A SOFTWHEAR PROBLEM...MABY THAT UPDATTED PROGRAM THAT CAME OUT 3 MONTHS AGO ****** UP THE PROGRAM IN MY PHONE AND EVERYONE ELISES ALSO....SO THE STORY ENDS...WHEN THE NEW PROGRAM THAT THEY ARE WORKING ON COMES OUT IN A MONTH...FIXXES THE MESSED UP PROGRAM IN MY PHONE....UNTIL THEN ILL KEEP THE GPS TESTER THAT I GOT FOR FREE FROM THE P-STORE..ILL KEEP USING IT ..IT FIXXES THE PROBLEM TEMPERARY...............SO ANYWAYS......BQCK TO THE DRAWING BOARDS UNTIL THEY COME OUT WITH THAT NEW SOFTWHEAR PROGRAM FOR MY OPT. F7. LG!.......................................Smonths ago

Upvote 0
Well my gps was working for about 6 hours...now its back up to not working again...i down loaded one of those gps testters and after it scans the test...the gps will work....but after a hour it goes back to its old ways....damit...so i guess it is the softwhare program in the phone..is not working ....there is a update program that came out about three months ago..i used that update WHEN IT CAME OUT AND MY ICON FOR MY GPS DISAPEARED...SO I WAS LIKE WHAT THE F......I HADE TO GO INTO MY APPS UPDATES AND UNINSTALL THE UPDATE TO GET MY GPS ICON BACK AND I JUST THOUGHT THAT WAS WERD....EVER SENCE THEN MY GPS HAS NOT WORKED..M.SO THE STORY END ....ITS MOST DEFANTTLY A SOFTWHEAR PROBLEM...MABY THAT UPDATTED PROGRAM THAT CAME OUT 3 MONTHS AGO ****** UP THE PROGRAM IN MY PHONE AND EVERYONE ELISES ALSO....SO THE STORY ENDS...WHEN THE NEW PROGRAM THAT THEY ARE WORKING ON COMES OUT IN A MONTH...FIXXES THE MESSED UP PROGRAM IN MY PHONE....UNTIL THEN ILL KEEP THE GPS TESTER THAT I GOT FOR FREE FROM THE P-STORE..ILL KEEP USING IT ..IT FIXXES THE PROBLEM TEMPERARY...............SO ANYWAYS......BQCK TO THE DRAWING BOARDS UNTIL THEY COME OUT WITH THAT NEW SOFTWHEAR PROGRAM FOR MY OPT. F7. LG!.......................................Smonths ago

Thanks for trying but i guarantee you wont find a permanent fix. Just no dice for us. Its LG's problem let em fix it, the update is already completed we're just waiting for it to be rolled out. Hundreds that i at least know of, who knows the exact number maybe even in the thousands have complained about gps and call quality since the phones release and based on update patterns and the time it actually takes to build and release them to the public, I'd say they've been aware of this problem since at least October. But they released the source which means they are done working on the update and are getting ready to roll it out within this month.

Upvote 0
I think I managed to fix my GPS or at least it is improved drastically. I tried a whole bunch of different settings and GPS apps but none helped. Last night, I discovered an app called TopNTP. Besides selecting what pool of satellites to choose from it also has the option to change your GPS.conf file to different settings by manufacturer or carrier. It completely replaces whatever is in your GPS.conf with what you choose. I chose the US as my pool and LG for my GPS settings. Here's a pic

Attachments

• 1389303720443.jpg
    1389303720443.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 138
Reactions: mrbigv770
Upvote 0
I think I managed to fix my GPS or at least it is improved drastically. I tried a whole bunch of different settings and GPS apps but none helped. Last night, I discovered an app called TopNTP. Besides selecting what pool of satellites to choose from it also has the option to change your GPS.conf file to different settings by manufacturer or carrier. It completely replaces whatever is in your GPS.conf with what you choose. I chose the US as my pool and LG for my GPS settings. Here's a pic

Yo, I think u hit the nail on the head with this app.
My Waze navi app is showing everything in my area.
Before it didn't show nobody but me!

Good find!:congrats:

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Hi MapleBacon, I was going to download TopNTP but is says it's for rooted phones. I have not rooted my phone. Must the phone be rooted for the app to work?

Upvote 0
Good news! Help may be on the way! I just got off the phone with Boost's Customer Service Escalations Department and they were actually really helpful. They acknowledged that there is a problem with the phones, and that there is no troubleshooting solution. The gentleman I spoke with then told me that he spoke with LG today, they are aware of the problem, and expect an automatic software update pushed out within a month to fix this issue. From all the struggles people have talked about in this thread, I think it is safe to say that we'll believe it when we see it, but at least there might be a light at the end of the tunnel.

Reactions: sortoh85
Upvote 0
Good news! Help may be on the way! I just got off the phone with Boost's Customer Service Escalations Department and they were actually really helpful. They acknowledged that there is a problem with the phones, and that there is no troubleshooting solution. The gentleman I spoke with then told me that he spoke with LG today, they are aware of the problem, and expect an automatic software update pushed out within a month to fix this issue. From all the struggles people have talked about in this thread, I think it is safe to say that we'll believe it when we see it, but at least there might be a light at the end of the tunnel.

Called for myself today, i called LG first and the crappy a$$ reps tried telling me that this isnt an official reported issue and that i need to send my phone to them to get it fix. lol almost cursed that rep out cause his stubborn butt wouldn't listen to me. Then Called boost and asked to be transferred to the escalations department. The guy i was talking to was being 50% pain in the butt too telling me to call LG and what not. Anyway i pleaded with him asking him to just check if this is a known issue with the device, and finally he listened and checked out the issue and he came back to me saying this that this is a known issue and asked if i had already gotten an OTA prompt update and i said no and he said you should get it soon to correct the issue. I already checked out my inside sources for LG and also checked their source pages out and there's no indication of any new Software update coming soon, i say soon as in 2-3 weeks. But i guess from both calls they are aware of the issue. Still not getting my hopes up, i'll wait till the fat lady sings when i see my sources updated with an upcoming update. This is also an issue with the USC F7 too according two of my testers.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones