• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

F7 - Horrible GPS or Defective Unit - Please Test

So according to the person who talked to chevan, we can expect an OTA update next week or in two weeks?

Again, according to the person chevan talked to...

No, there's no sign of any either. You can call for yourself to do a check up. Good luck convincing them to actually check rather than telling you to send it in or do troubleshooting measures lol.

Upvote 0
Lol I am checking LGs source page twice a day if not more.... But I know pastors is key... Like he has said before... There are higher end phones that will get it before we do..

Edit...
... I just looked through all the devices on that source page, if I am not mistaken not one of them is on kitkat... So me might have a longer wait then expected.. And yes I know most of those devices are older model older phones

Upvote 0
Finally got a lock again, but its few and far between. so GPS is effectively no longer usable.

Tracker booster helped a little, but not enough. The qualcomm app didn't seem to help at all. Factory reset did not help.

I got no help from Izat qualcomm enhanced location service, and I also got no help from Tracker Booster.

BUT I discovered a free app through Google Play called ActiveGPS and now my Optimus F7 phone works just like it is supposed to!

Upvote 0
I got no help from Izat qualcomm enhanced location service, and I also got no help from Tracker Booster.

BUT I discovered a free app through Google Play called ActiveGPS and now my Optimus F7 phone works just like it is supposed to!

Thanks only took 30 seconds for it to lock correctly on my spot with this program I could never get it to lock with stock version.I bought this phone in January and never could get it to work right.And calling boost about it was about as useless as talking to my dog about it.

Upvote 0

Oops, my bad. Wishful thinking, I guess. ActiveGPS was able to locate me right away... but was unable to track me as I moved around. And I can't deal with turning on and off little phone helpers all the time, I just need the darned thing to work.

So I returned the Optimus f7 to the store I bought it from, paid a hefty restocking fee, and bought the next one up, a Samsung galaxy s3. $50 more, but it worked perfectly, right out of the box.

Shame on LG. They charge you hundreds of dollars for a phone that doesn't work and then tell you it's boostmobile's software problem.

Upvote 0
Like just about everyone, the GPS on my f7 was miserable. It seems to be corrected now. The phone is stock, I turned off the qualcomm enhanced location service, and restarted. Then I downloaded GPS Status and Toolbox from the play store. For the past three days my Nav has held as one would expect from any properly functioning phone... feel like I'm @ risk of jinxing it but thought I should share.

Upvote 0
Similar threads merged

I downloaded the app, but it doesn't seem to be doing anything. (I'm currently running CM10)
Since you're rooted, I'd try something thats worked for me on previous phones.

We used to have issues on the old EVO 4G getting GPS to lock on AOSP ROMS. However, we found out if we got a lock on the stock ROM, opened up GPS status and toolbox and then backed up the app and data with titanium backup when we restored the app on CM the gps would be able to get a lock again.

So it may be worth trying.

Upvote 0
Like just about everyone, the GPS on my f7 was miserable. It seems to be corrected now. The phone is stock, I turned off the qualcomm enhanced location service, and restarted. Then I downloaded GPS Status and Toolbox from the play store. For the past three days my Nav has held as one would expect from any properly functioning phone... feel like I'm @ risk of jinxing it but thought I should share.
this why change to a Samsung galaxy s5

Upvote 0
My gps quality has been poor (often one or two satellites) , sometimes a little slow to lock, but functional. Not sure, but it seems worse when the phone is connected 4G. I'm wondering if there's interference from the LTE radio. It might be worth investigating.

(Edit: After watching things some more, I don't think 3G vs 4G makes a difference. )

Update: I purchased a second F7 unit having returned the first one due to the defective GPS. The second unit is barely any better. It is still useless for GPS purposes. Not only does it take quite a long time to lock on (when it does), but it frequently drops the lock even when out in the wide open. Just as the first unit, it cannot lock when inside any vehicle.

There appears to be serious quality control issues with this phone. Avoid it.

Even now, after some time of being out, my f7 still has tons of issues. i constantly have general internet problems, my gps fails constantly, and my google play store always times out, on wifi or 3g, 4g, and 4g lte. this phone is more of a nuisance than any other device ive ever owned. actually though, the difference of 4g and 3g is highly noticable for me (when it actually works). I would NOT recommend getting this phone, even as a starter smart phone, because it would just give a general bad name to other smart phones.:mad:

Upvote 0