Face recognition

Last Updated:

1. CCNDR

CCNDR Member This Topic's Starter

I am wondering if anyone is working on a face recognition app for the android. It would be really sweet to unlock the phone by using a picture taken by your front facing camera.

Advertisement
  2. Covert_Death

Covert_Death Well-Known Member

wouldn't you need to unlock the phone first to take the picture :/ unless its like a secondary lock

3. Clock

Clock Well-Known Member

If you mean "unlock" your phone as in "my phone is locked and no one but me can get into it because I've set this security measure up," then conceivably the technology could be beat quite easily by holding a picture of yourself up to the camera.

Voice recognition would be pretty cool, but having to talk into your phone just to unlock it could present some usability issues.

Even cooler, though probably just as impractical; how about gesture recognition? Use the phone's accelerometers to memorize some basic phone movement pattern and then do something based off of that (in this case, unlock the phone)?

4. LatinP

LatinP Well-Known Member

Face detection on such a small camera would be full of bugs, a better way of "securing" your device would be a fingerprint scanner.

Although both techniques are flawed, if someone knew what they were doing they'd just connect the device to a pc directly and uninstall the app easily.

5. CCNDR

CCNDR Member This Topic's Starter

i know its not that secure but i just want to so i can show it off to my friends and show them how cool the phone is. It might make them want to buy it even.

6. Clock

Clock Well-Known Member

Facial recognition is no easy feat - I highly doubt someone would develop such an application that has such little utility.

You know what you might like, though - Google Goggles. You might already be familiar with it, but if not, check it out. That'll certainly impress.

7. mrk

mrk Well-Known Member

Ah, like a sudden upward movement from a desk or a pocket could automatically unlock the phone? That would be infinitely convenient. It'd definitely be possible, toe, because the ringer turns off (if the phone is currently ringing, that is) when the phone detects sudden upward movement.

8. Caloy

Caloy Well-Known Member

wouldn't it be simpler to just swipe your finger on the screen?

I can see voice, facial or fingerprint security for sensitive documents. But then again, there are password security already available.

9. mrk

mrk Well-Known Member

I do agree that, pretty much all of the time, swiping is better. We already have the pattern input thing...