Facebook 1.3/1.3.1 continuous Google Contact syncGeneral

Last Updated:

1. stangmatt66

stangmatt66 Member This Topic's Starter

Hi All, After installing Facebook 1.3 and 1.3.1 on my Eris with 2.1 my Google Contacts are stuck in a sync loop and draining my battery. It tries to sync, gets an error about contact sync not being available, tries to sync, gets error, etc over and over. Since I'm not able to uninstall Facebook, only uninstall upgrades, going back to an older version causes the non-stop syncing to stop. WOO HOO!

Has anyone else experienced this? I want the new Facebook 1.3.1, but the I can't live without contact sync. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. indyhank

indyhank New Member

I experienced this for the first two days or so. My process for getting it to stop the loop was as follows:

• Removed the account from the "Accounts and Sync" settings.
    • Deleted permissions to access "Facebook for Android" and "Facebook for HTC Sync" on my Facebook account.
    • Added the accounts back to the "Accounts and Sync" section - starting with general Facebook and then Facebook for HTC Sync.
    • Changed the settings to only update once per day and let it sync overnight while connected to wi-fi.

This got me out of the loop. Unfortunately it yielded another problem - now for the 260 contacts I have syncing the contacts app is taking up nearly 35MB of memory causing the low internal storage warning.

Any suggestions on that one? I hope the steps I used get you out of the loop.

3. stangmatt66

UPDATE: I wiped my phone and started clean. Everything looked good until I installed FB 1.3.1 again. Every time sync fails or gets stuck in the loop, I get multiple copies of my contacts. These copies are not visible in People, but rather when addressing SMS messages in any SMS program. The copies are not synced back to Google.

How can one 3rd party program mess up an entire phone?

4. stangmatt66

UPDATE: I found a workaround for my issue. The problems seems to be with Facebook for HTC Sense and Facebook both syncing with Contacts. I removed Facebook for HTC Sense Sync and my duplicate SMS addresses went away. I then removed Facebook Sync. I added back Facebook for HTC Sense Sync and set Facebook 1.3.1 to not sync at all. My phone is no longer stuck in a sync loop and I do not have duplicate SMS entries.

5. katydid99

katydid99 Active Member

So doing this takes care of the looping issue and the contacts issue at the same time? Thanks

6. katydid99

katydid99 Active Member

I am a newbie so pardon my ignorance. When you say you set Facebook 1.3.1 to not sync at all was that in the app or the Eris's accounts/sync menu?

7. stangmatt66

Hi katydid99, Yes, this fixed both issues.

I removed the Facebook Sync from the Sync menu, however when you reopen Facebook, it will ask you again what kind of sync you would like. Just set it to not sync. It will put an entry in the Sync menu, but doesn't make it active. Leave it how it is and it will hopefully clear up the issue.

8. katydid99

katydid99 Active Member

I just tried that and when I go to text message and do a contact search it brings up every contact at least 20 times!!! I unsynched FB HTC Sense, unsynched FB, re-synched FB HTC Sense and checked the app to say not to Sync. Did I do something wrong? Thanks for your quick response.

9. katydid99

katydid99 Active Member

Did you remove the accounts or just set them not to synch?

10. katydid99

katydid99 Active Member

ARGH!! Please help!! I deleted both the FB and the FB accounts and am trying to re-add the FB HTC account. It is getting stuck on the log in just saying please wait for several minutes. What should I do?

11. stangmatt66

You must REMOVE the accounts, not just set them to not-sync.

Here's what I did:

1. Removed Facebook for HTC Sense from the Sync Menu
    2. Removed Facebook Sync from the Sync menu
    3. Reboot the phone
    4. Add Facebook for HTC Sense tot he Sync menu
    5. Open Facebook (it should act like you're opening it for the 1st time) and set it to not sync with your contact. You will see an entry for it in the Sync menu, but the green circle will be grey.

These steps worked for me, but may not work for everyone.

12. katydid99

katydid99 Active Member

Thank you...trying it now. Also called Verizon as this is my second Eris (had it since Friday) and I have had to reboot it several times today as it has frozen up and took almost a minute to make an important phone call this morning. So very frustrating.

13. MongolStomp

MongolStomp Well-Known Member

Yeah, I experienced all these problems too. I didn't feel like f'n around so I just did a factory reset and didnt reinstall the update. I actually kind of enjoyed doing a reset, made my phone feel new again. Anyways, I won't reinstall the update until a new version comes out.