• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Facebook and phone contacts

So got my droid today, and originally didnt set it to sync with facebook as i never really type in peoples last name so i wasnt expecting it to pull peoples info.

the other night my friend showed me his droid eris and how he could manually go into each person contact on the phone and they actually had a facebook field. he clicked on it and was able to type in their name they use on facebook and it pulled their photo and feeds.

anyway to do this on my moto droid? am i missing something?

i went into the facebook app and told it to sync with my current contacts and it only was able to grab 3 people because they had gmail accounts and also were using droids lol. i want to do what my friend can do on his eris..

anyway to do this on my moto droid? am i missing something?

i went into the facebook app and told it to sync with my current contacts and it only was able to grab 3 people because they had gmail accounts and also were using droids lol. i want to do what my friend can do on his eris..

The problem is that you don't put first and last names in your phone and when syncing with facebook, your Droid can't match up the contacts.

The best solution is to just put first and last names in. Otherwise you will have to manually join all of your contacts by going through the facebook app, selecting the facebook contact info, selecting edit and then manually joining (depending on how many contacts you have, this could be a HUGE pain) which I definitely don't recommend.

Really, the best option is to just start putting first and last names in.

Upvote 0
The problem is that you don't put first and last names in your phone and when syncing with facebook, your Droid can't match up the contacts.

The best solution is to just put first and last names in. Otherwise you will have to manually join all of your contacts by going through the facebook app, selecting the facebook contact info, selecting edit and then manually joining (depending on how many contacts you have, this could be a HUGE pain) which I definitely don't recommend.

Really, the best option is to just start putting first and last names in.

i actually prefer to do it manually as i hate having peoples first and last names in there..

i want to be able to go into my phone, pull up contacts. click on my friend named "steve", edit his contact info to include his facebook page. just like my friend was able to do that on his eris.

for example, im in my friends phone as "dansan".. my facebook account doesnt say dansan, because it has my real name. he went into my contact profile on the phone, there was a facebook field, he typed in my real name and it synced. i want to be able to do that. oh also it didnt edit the name on the contact profile either, still kept me as "dansan"

Upvote 0
You can definitely do this on the Droid.. and if you have fewer contacts it will definitely be easier, but I think you will find this gets annoying after a while. I have 500+ contacts so this would take me a month at least, though I HAVE done it for a few contacts who have different Facebook names etc. that don't sync automatically and it works quite well.

1) Go into the Facebook for Android app

2) Go to "Friends"

3) Search for your friend's name

4) DO NOT GO TO THEIR PROFILE! Just click on the picture next to their name in the results

5) A slider should come up with a few options, click the contacts one

6) Hit the menu button on the Droid and select "Edit contact"

7) Hit the menu button again and select "Join"

8) Find the contact you would wish to join the facebook contact to, click it and you're all set! You should now see a link to that person's facebook in their contact info on your phone

Hope this helps!

Upvote 0
You can definitely do this on the Droid.. and if you have fewer contacts it will definitely be easier, but I think you will find this gets annoying after a while. I have 500+ contacts so this would take me a month at least, though I HAVE done it for a few contacts who have different Facebook names etc. that don't sync automatically and it works quite well.

1) Go into the Facebook for Android app

2) Go to "Friends"

3) Search for your friend's name

4) DO NOT GO TO THEIR PROFILE! Just click on the picture next to their name in the results

5) A slider should come up with a few options, click the contacts one

6) Hit the menu button on the Droid and select "Edit contact"

7) Hit the menu button again and select "Join"

8) Find the contact you would wish to join the facebook contact to, click it and you're all set! You should now see a link to that person's facebook in their contact info on your phone

Hope this helps!

i go to the friends list, type someones name in.. find them, i try clicking on their picture but nothing happens. no matter how long i hold it, doesnt do anything. a quick tap of the photo just goes to their profile.

so it has to be done through facebook, cannot be done through contacts on the phone huh?

Upvote 0
i go to the friends list, type someones name in.. find them, i try clicking on their picture but nothing happens. no matter how long i hold it, doesnt do anything. a quick tap of the photo just goes to their profile.

Make sure you're doing this through Facebook for Android, the native app, and not through the browser - otherwise it won't work. It should be a quick tap on the picture with a little bar under it in the results. When I do it I get any combination of Phone, Contact, Messaging, Gmail and Facebook, you could have fewer or more options depending on what info that contact has.

If this doesn't work it could be because you don't have any other info about that person, but I tried this for people that I don't have in my contacts (and only facebook info about) and that's not the case...

And yes, it has to be done through the Facebook for Android app and not contacts, just a weird little quirk that I think makes it a pain.

Upvote 0
Yea its not working.. Just to make sure, this is the screen im looking at. i start by trying to click their photo..

used my gf's env to take the photo cuz apparently home++'s screen shot abilities are only at the home screen

1216091852.jpg

Upvote 0
Yea man, its so weird.. got the phone today so I doubt its out of date

ok.. nvm your right lol. i pulled it up under app management and found its 1.1.1 and the newest version is 1.1.2 but when i try to download it from the market it says error, dont signed or something..

trying to figure out how to uninstall the stock facebook app but i cant seem to do it. its greyed out under app management so idk

Upvote 0
I was doing this and found out that most of the time when you join them it automatically changes the name to the full name listed on facebook. However I do have a few people who's names stayed how I manually entered them. When I go into the phonebook, the manual name I entered is still there, but it still shows the full facebook name anyway. Have you guys found a way to change this? I don't like having peoples full names unless I need it.

Also i don't know why but the facebook app take forever to update your friends list

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones