• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Facebook contacts

Xo0

Lurker
Apr 13, 2010
When I sync my facebook contacts, a few appear in my phone contacts list.. I can not seem to remove them..

I only want to sync contacts manually to their facebook account and not some random people (who I only added for networking) to appear in my phone contact list.

Any idea why this happens and how I can delete them from that specific list?

I encountered this problem and wanted a solution exactly how you want it.

What I did is removed the standard facebook sync as it is a global sync. This removed the un-necessary contacts but also removed the links to contacts that you wanted linked. (Settings -> Accounts & Sync -> facebook -> uncheck sync contacts)

To then link the contacts you want you need to go into the "people" app and select the contacts that you want to sync with facebook (I presume you will have these people as contacts). If you click on a person you wish to link, at the very top right should be a strange symbol. Something that looks like: C -O

Clicking that will take you to a page that allows you to link that contact with facebook!
Rinse and repeat with each contact you want to link.

Upvote 0
When I remove the sync completely, the contacts are gone. When I then re-add the "Facebook for HTC" and uncheck sync contacts, I don't have any facebook contacts I can sync my regular contacts with.. If I retrieve my facebook contacts (just to link my regulars ones with it), it also adds them to my phone contact list automatically..

Upvote 0
I have a strange problem which I think is linked to a facebook contact. When I get a sms from my bank it shows up as being from one of my facebook contacts. I'm guessing from the details in this thread there is no way to remove the facebook contact mobile number without deleting the contact completely. Any help appreciated - this one has me stumped.
Thanks

Upvote 0
I have a strange problem which I think is linked to a facebook contact. When I get a sms from my bank it shows up as being from one of my facebook contacts. I'm guessing from the details in this thread there is no way to remove the facebook contact mobile number without deleting the contact completely. Any help appreciated - this one has me stumped.
Thanks
lol i get exactly the same thing happen to me when my service operator sends me text updates my friends picture comes up.

Upvote 0
Same problem here. I don't want any Facebook contact information being linked to People apart from their photo.

This wasn't an issue on my Hero so I assume is something specific to Android 2.1. The question is, is it specific to the Desire (and so a HTC Sense issues) or all 2.1 devices?

Upvote 0
i also would like to get the facebook contacts off of my phone list, but when i tryed to deselect the sync i didnt have a tick box to deselect. and if i remove the facebook for htc account i lose all my links.

ive also had the problem with service messeges coming up from random facebook contacts, and i think the reason is that these people have text for their phone number on facebook,

i got a messege from vodafone and it came up from a person on facebook, had a look at her phone number on facebook and it was "urgh" also have a contact that has the phone number "big bird" and it shows the messege is also from him.

if i look at the messege it shows that it is from "vodafone" and doesnt have a number

Upvote 0
I encountered this problem and wanted a solution exactly how you want it.

What I did is removed the standard facebook sync as it is a global sync. This removed the un-necessary contacts but also removed the links to contacts that you wanted linked. (Settings -> Accounts & Sync -> facebook -> uncheck sync contacts)

To then link the contacts you want you need to go into the "people" app and select the contacts that you want to sync with facebook (I presume you will have these people as contacts). If you click on a person you wish to link, at the very top right should be a strange symbol. Something that looks like: C -O

Clicking that will take you to a page that allows you to link that contact with facebook!
Rinse and repeat with each contact you want to link.

This doesnt seem to do anything for me... if I go to people it does only show my contacts, unless you select online directories/facebook.. but still under 'phone' or 'messages' I get all the facebook (and gmail) contacts.... grrrrr

What I don't understand is that when you set up the phone you inadvertently turn on google sync and facebook sync. Now surely there must be a way to remove all contacts (preferably not a master reset) and then manually link the contacts you want...??

Upvote 0
Handcent SMS now has an option to hide social network contacts, although I don't actually have access to that option, it's in the release notes for the latest version which I have but the option in Settings doesn't appear, I'm not alone on this so must be a bug, hopefully quickly fixed and that puts an end to my problems!

Upvote 0
Handcent SMS now has an option to hide social network contacts, although I don't actually have access to that option, it's in the release notes for the latest version which I have but the option in Settings doesn't appear, I'm not alone on this so must be a bug, hopefully quickly fixed and that puts an end to my problems!

Installed but cannot find this option... :thinking: only thing I have found is to only use contacts with mobile numbers, which at least cuts out a lot of dross from the people list...

Upvote 0
I have a HTC Desire and wanted to lose my facebook contacts within my phonebook. i removed them by going to settings on the main menu, accounts and sync then removed my facebook account. i then un checked the two options at the top (background data and auto sync) then reinstalled facebook for htc. I stayed on that menu as it tried to sync anyway, but by cancelling it straight away i have managed to keep my fb contacts off my phonebook list. whether this is the fix what a lot of you were after or i got very lucky :) good luck.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones