• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Facebook events an hour late in HTC Calendar

inKRbl

Sep 9, 2010
Hi all, with 2.2 facebook events now appear in my calendar. However the start and end time is one hour too late. Other calendar items have the correct time.

Clock is on Automatic. Date/time set correctly. Time zone is GMT-07:00 (Pacific and DST, so that is right.) [Menu | Settings | Date & time]

If I use the FB App 1.3.2 it shows the event time correctly.

Could someone else let me know if your FB events appear in the calendar with either the correct or incorrect time? It'd be helpful if you could confirm your TZ, the TZ chosen by the phone and the event time via the FB app.

Thanks!

The other interesting thing is that Calendar syncing is not listed under Settings | Accounts & sync | Facebook for HTC Sense. (But is listed on the Accounts list within the Calendar App.) Does anyone know if there is a way to view the raw Open Stream data from FB => Android?

Upvote 0
Hi all, with 2.2 facebook events now appear in my calendar. However the start and end time is one hour too late. Other calendar items have the correct time.

Clock is on Automatic. Date/time set correctly. Time zone is GMT-07:00 (Pacific and DST, so that is right.) [Menu | Settings | Date & time]

If I use the FB App 1.3.2 it shows the event time correctly.

Could someone else let me know if your FB events appear in the calendar with either the correct or incorrect time? It'd be helpful if you could confirm your TZ, the TZ chosen by the phone and the event time via the FB app.

Thanks!

I'm seeing this as well. I wonder if it has to do with daylight savings time, like the facebook data isn't taking that into account or some such.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the confirmation. I'm working on filing this with HTC. Without a debug rig I can't tell if the bug is in FB's feed, Android's parsing, or HTC's Calendar. But because HTC got my money they get to file the issue ;)

Sounds like a good plan. I'm actually trying out Gemenii calendar at the moment, so that's where I saw the event being an hour off. I also just checked the HTC calendar and it shows the same.

Upvote 0
HTC has the bug and they're escalating it. My guess is that it isn't an HTC bug at all, but rather a miscalculation in the android system when it is building the local calendar set with the facebook event stream. There are a legion of complaints about FB using relative local time in their data but they've since fixed it to emit UTC. Maybe someone didn't get the memo.

Is anyone seeing this outside of California or seeing the time off by something other than an hour?

Upvote 0
HTC has the bug and they're escalating it. My guess is that it isn't an HTC bug at all, but rather a miscalculation in the android system when it is building the local calendar set with the facebook event stream. There are a legion of complaints about FB using relative local time in their data but they've since fixed it to emit UTC. Maybe someone didn't get the memo.

Is anyone seeing this outside of California or seeing the time off by something other than an hour?

I'm in Utah, and it's an hour off. That's what makes me wonder if it has something to do with Daylight savings time.

Upvote 0
I found a work-around for the FB timing issue. On your FB events page, there is a link to 'Export Events'. If you take this link url and add it into your google calendar directly (on the web page, not the phone app), the phone will sync it with correct times. Then turn off the phone's FB feed (or you'll get double events, double birthdays).

My money is on an Android bug, but I'll let HTC escalate it.

Upvote 0
Hard to believe but this problem is still around. When trying to sync with a gmail calendar sync I have discovered a that the automatic time and timezone setting gives the incorrect timezone. I live near Portland, OR and am currently on Pacific Daylight Time yet the time zone reported is Mountain Standard Time. This is the same offset form GMT but the calendar programs including the sync to gmail use the time zone and daylight saving time to sync their calendars. The incorrect time zone causes events scheduled now for November (off daylight savings) to be off by one hour. During non-daylight savings time all day events can be off by a day.

Upvote 0
I'm having a similar problem but it is more than an hour out, Facebook events appear 8 hours further forward in my Android calendar.
I have a Galaxy Note running Android 4.0.3, I live in Perth Australia (which is +8:00 GMT, coincidence with the 8 hours?).

This problem only started for some reason last week. Prior to that the Facebook events were in the calendar on time.

I know most of these hypothesised causes are daylight savings related but that is obviously not relevant to mine as we do not have daylight savings here and besides, it is 8 hours out, not 1.

Did anyone manage to figure this problem out?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones