1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

facebook for android sucks compared to facebook for ipod

Last Updated:

1. brindall

brindall Active Member This Topic's Starter

WTF IS UP WITH ANDROIDS FACEBOOK APP!

i much prefer my samsung galaxy s to the iphone, but there is something the iphone has a massive win over any android phone is the facebook app.

If you compare to two against each other the ipod version is much better
    all from one app you can do so much more. you have the chat option, you can view tagged pics, you can change profile pic, you can add location (yes i know its been added to our app, but seems a bit faulty), its a load of crap as we have none of this, half the time mine doesnt actually inform me of notifications i should have recieved does anyone know of an update soon to be out for this app? i would be much appreiciative if i knew.

Advertisement
  2. reinbeau

reinbeau Klaatu barada nikto VIP Member

Oh, but we just got an 'upgrade'. Good things come to those who wait; that saying comes to mind often with regards to Android. You're absolutely correct, FB for Android sucks, plain and simple, I can't believe how bad it is, either. The most recent 'upgrade' wasn't anything much more than adding that Places capability, a useless option as far as I'm concerned (why do I want to announce where I am, if I'm not at home - so someone can come rob me??) The developers seem to worry more about the frills than the meat of the program.

3. brindall

Yea, exactly i would rather they update the fact that we have no chat option, would much prefer that, than to be able to let people know where i am, would also like more notification options, for instance it would be nice to have a notification box for your home screen on the actual phone, then i can go straight to that. Cant even see my all my notifications on my facebook app anyways.

4. JunBringer

JunBringer Well-Known Member

5. agentfaze

agentfaze Active Member

FB for Android is fine...if you don't like it use the browser and stop complaining.

6. amlothi

amlothi Well-Known Member

Your formatting was a bit off. Fixed that for you.

Abdur, akashi, mikedt and 4 others like this.
  7. Z3US

Z3US Well-Known Member

yeah i do agree facebook for android is behind by FB for Ipod.

8. rkkeller

rkkeller Well-Known Member

Why not just use the BROWSER instead of any app? I never use the apps for websites "IF" I can use the full site directly. No Ebay app, no FB, no CL nothing like that as they are all limited compared to the full sites thru a browser. I know many apps can give notifications but I still prefer the real sites.

9. reinbeau

reinbeau Klaatu barada nikto VIP Member

I use the website all the time, because the app SUCKS (right, amlothi? :)). Dedicated apps handle screen redraw properly, it makes the whole experience much better, provided they're written properly. If you prefer the web browser, then why are you even in this thread complaining about those of us who prefer a dedicated app?

I use the XDA app to browse over there. I use the beta of the new Phandroid app when I browse here. It's just a much more pleasant experience on the phone than using the browser.

10. CptGemini

CptGemini Well-Known Member

Am I the only one who thinks its fine the way it is? If all of you people who don't like it then why use it? Just uninstall it and never use it again, its that easy :).

11. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

Facebook sucks in-general. And Android continues to get shafted compared to the jesusphone, despite the fact that Android is growing faster than the iPhone market is growing and already has greater worldwide marketshare. But that doesn't stop Facebook and other sites from still arrogantly assuming that everyone just has an iPhone and so only assigning a couple highschool interns to develop the Android app.

But I really couldn't care less. The more the app sucks, the more people will be inclined to do more-valuable things with their time.

12. Stuntman

Stuntman Well-Known Member

I expected more from the FB app as well. I used Friend Stream for a while, but it has other limitations.

The notifications (or lack there of) are not as big of an issue for me because I configure FB to email me.

I believe that the person who wrote the FB app was hired away, by Google I think. Once he left, there was no one to upgrade the app. Quite ironic, I think.

One other thing I find is with such a good browser on many Android phones, why use an app that does pretty much what the web site does?

13. Rambler358

Rambler358 Well-Known Member

Yeah, the FB for Android app sucks. All I really want is push notifications, and there's nothing currently out there that (I've found) can do this. Actually Tweetdeck (a Twitter app) is better for Facebook, than the Facbook app itself. :rolleyes:

14. larrycl

larrycl Well-Known Member

Well, coming to Android from Windows Mobile, I can say you guys have NO IDEA what "Sucks" means if you're talking about Facebook Apps. The WM version was unspeakably bad. I love the Android compared to what I had on my WM phone.

15. art__

art__ Member

I really would like to have push notifications for FB or at least working notifications. I really don't care about chat, and most of the time I will just end up using the website with the browser as others stated. The advantage of an app would be that it could be a way better experience on a phone since the apps SHOULD be custom made for the OS we are using.

16. walterbyrd

walterbyrd Active Member

Facebook is bed with Microsoft, and MS hates google. MS hates google much worse than MS hates Apple. Apple also hates google. Maybe that is way nobody wants to make a good FB app for Android?

17. flash24

flash24 Well-Known Member

Agreed, my Blackberry's FB is even better.

18. Stuntman

Now the FB widget isn't updating. Has not updated for a day now.

19. Tre Lawrence

Tre Lawrence Well-Known Member

I use FB fairly extensively, and I rarely use the Android app.

20. BORIStheBLADE

BORIStheBLADE Well-Known Member

I do agree.... The app does suck. It has sucked for a while and I doubt it will ever get the basic functions it should have.

I see people saying to use the browser, but it doesn't help with notification updates. You still need to refresh the page or back out and go back to see the update.

With so many different ways to message people I don't know why FB messaging is such a big concern? I guess to each his own?

Two BASIC functions that the app has needed for a while and still haven't got.

-notification updates outside the app
    -ability to edit your post and others post.

My thoughts... They really don't listen to the comments people make about the app since there has been two updates and neither of those two basic functions has been implemented.

21. Ngo93

Ngo93 Well-Known Member

you should try Tweetdeck, it's really good!

22. Stuntman

Tried it. Didn't like it. Went back to the FB widget even though it is not updating.

23. JR866Gooner

JR866Gooner Well-Known Member

I second that, Bluu is meant to be quite good too :)

24. brindall

its not so much about wanting to use the browser. i dont mind that. its the fact that being a smart phone i should not have to take that route about it. i want my phone to be quick and simple to use. not have to go through the bloody browser everytime, for the amount i pay. i should be getting an simple app as good as any other bloody phone.

25. agentfaze

agentfaze Active Member

ITT: Anti-Facebook bandwagon.