Facebook for Android updates for the preinstalled version on the Desire

Last Updated:

1. mjpartyboy

mjpartyboy Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

There's a new version of Facebook available on the Market, but because the Desire comes with the official Facebook app already installed it doesn't prompt you to update it.

When you click to install the version on the Market, the phone is clever enough detect the preinstalled one and applies it as an update, so you don't end up with two Facebook apps in the phone menu or Manage Apps menu. After installing it the Manage Apps option changes from 'Clear data' to 'Uninstall updates' and the version has gone from 114 to 121. You'll also notice that the 'Take photo' tile has now been replaced with 'Inbox'. There's still no option to tag people in images.

Advertisement
    ynwa, ShogunAssassin7, g4rvd4 and 4 others like this.
  2. JohnnyBravo1000

JohnnyBravo1000 Well-Known Member

I think the update you are referring to has been available for a while, mate. There is also still no option to manage and respond to event invites.

3. mjpartyboy

I think it has, but hopefully this thread will help those who weren't aware of the preinstalled version's lack of update ability. I'm assuming it will now prompt for updates, being as it now exists in my Market > Downloads section.

4. Mike_M

Mike_M Active Member

Just updated mine. Thanks for the tip as did not realise :)

5. OFI

OFI Well-Known Member

FAIL

Really how hard is this?

iPhones and BBs have been doing this for ages.

6. nofear

nofear Well-Known Member

As someone posted earlier this has been available for a good few weeks now, maybe more. I still think it is pretty crap to be honest and way behind Apples version.

I have 1.2 and there is no option to install/update etc.

7. CarsnGadgets

CarsnGadgets Well-Known Member

A few weeks ago I downloaded the 121 version from the market place, It installed 'along side' the HTC Facebook version 1 app,

so now I seem to have both installed?
    the HTC one has some caches files and seems to be the one in use...?
    not sure which one is being used or why I now have both?

8. StoneDeCroze

StoneDeCroze Well-Known Member

You think this version is bad, you should try the Windows mobile version. It's shocking.

9. mjpartyboy

I forgot to say that you can still take a photo from within the app. They've moved the option into Profile and News feed and it's to the left of the 'What's on your mind?' box.

10. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

Is it still VGA resolution though?

11. g4rvd4

g4rvd4 Well-Known Member

Thanks a lot. Never realized it.. :)

12. mjpartyboy

I have noticed some odd behaviour with the Inbox and that is as soon as I delete an item (message, update, or sent) all the images of the senders disappear and when you open a message, their user name is replaced with 'Facebook User,' including my image and user name in replies. No amount of refreshing corrects either of these things.

When I sign out of Facebook for Android and then back in and go to the Inbox, it loads all the images again and the user names are correct, until an item is deleted, then the cycle starts all over again.

I don't know I'm afraid. I've never used the camera from within the Facebook app.

13. JsT

JsT Well-Known Member

I can live with Androids version of the app, Nokia's version is so flawed its actually comedy to use!

14. mjpartyboy

Update

Android 2.2 on the Desire comes with Facebook 1.2 as part of the OS, so my original post should no longer be an issue as FroYo rolls out. Interestingly it still appears in the Market and the Downloads section showing as 'Installed' with the option to uninstall being greyed out, even though it no longer shows in Manage applications > Downloaded (before when you installed 1.2 on the Market over the pre-installed version you had the option to uninstall updates in the Downloaded section and then it would disappear from here).

15. lorrebreaker

lorrebreaker Well-Known Member

Automatic update to version 1.3.0 as of this morning, not had a chance to see what improvements have been made just yet. :)

16. PsychoMania

PsychoMania Active Member

Updated to the new version this morning, like the look of it but going to keep an eye on the battery life.

Even with notifications set to every four hours it's keeping the phone awake. Shows as partial wake usage in the spare parts app.

17. JsT

JsT Well-Known Member

It looks slightly different and notifications appear better but still direct to the website. Haven't spotted much else different.

18. mjpartyboy

1.3.0 has a new layout and you can view events and friend requests, it includes the same contact sync options as the official Twitter app - sync all / sync existing / don't sync - it adds an account to Accounts and Sync, it automatically loads random images across the bottom of the home screen, and it added a new running service.

I can't see what the syncing options do, being as Facebook for HTC Sense syncs your contacts, and I can't see that it fixes the Phone list full of Facebook clutter problem.

I have reverted to version 1.2.0, Android 2.2's native version, because I didn't like it constantly loading the random images across the bottom of the home screen and I couldn't see an option to disable this annoying feature.

19. mabizela

mabizela Active Member

looks better and alot more high res, still needs chat

20. Eris Ed

Eris Ed Well-Known Member

"Sorry! The application facebook (process com.facebook.katana) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again. [Force close]"

Happens every time I try and see my Friends list.....

21. doad13

doad13 Well-Known Member

is this using the newest update? mine says version 138 it doesnt seem to stop on the friends stream. I would say try updating it and then rebooting your phone

22. Eris Ed

Eris Ed Well-Known Member

It's the update from yesterday and rebooting didn't help.

However, I changed the sync settings from "Sync only existing contacts" to "Remove sync data" and now I can see my full friends list using the FB app. Need to some more experimentation methinks....

23. joll200x

joll200x Member

the contact sync looks amazing - but works in the same crappy was as sense does, ie... it doesnt :(

24. doad13

doad13 Well-Known Member

thats strange i just removed sync data then re sync with existing contacts that worked fine and my friends list works fine, are you on froyo?

25. mjpartyboy

It's the same set up as the sync options the official Twitter app offers and they don't work for me either.

Some of these apps actually need explanations as to what the features are and how they work.