Facebook for HTC Sense- Permanent DeleteSupport

Last Updated:

1. AHanks12

AHanks12 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I know this has been discussed in other threads but it wasn't really the focus of those threads, (atleast from the search results I found). Has anyone figured out how to delete that P.O.S. Facebook for HTC program? Like many of you, it is really sucking up major battery life due to it never allowing my phone to sleep. And, I know, I can just force stop it, which I do, but that is just a temporary fix. I've looked through Astro but can't find any way to permanently delete it without doing a factory reset.

Advertisement
  2. question729

question729 Well-Known Member

Can't you just remove it from Autosync in settings or remove the widget?

3. AHanks12

Sure but everytime the phone is restarted the program will start up again. That'll work but only as a temporary solution. From what I'm reading on other posts/ websites the only way to get it gone for good is to do a factory reset.

4. question729

Hmm, well that's all I've ever done and the only place I even see fb for HTC is in the manage app section in settings. It's not a running process either. Force stop is even grayed out.

5. AHanks12

Yeah I finally figured out a few days ago that Facebook for HTC was the culprit keeping my phone from sleeping, (the up time and awake time was the same). The manage app section is where I go to force stop it, it's not greyed out on my device. From what I've read, unlike the other facebook app, the Facebook for HTC Sense app will constantly check for updates and there is no way to stop it. Others have figured out that by doing a factory reset you can opt out of Facebook for HTC Sense when setting up your Inc. I have spent the past 3 weeks customizing my Inc and the last think I want to have to do is a factory reset.

6. question729

Wish I could help. The last thing I have is if you have your phone contacts set to sync with Facebook's contacts. I thought it would be cool for the phone to do that, but I ended up getting annoying by all the contacts showing up when I wanted to text. Maybe the fact that the phone is tied to your contacts is what's keeping it from sleeping. Like I said, my Facebook for HTC Sense is no where to be found-- not in the app drawer, not in the home screen selection menus, not in running processes -- only in the manage application section in settings.

7. Vihzel

Vihzel Destroying Balls Everyday VIP Member

Wait... I don't exactly understand. Do you mean Facebook on Friend Stream? I don't understand what you mean by "Facebook for HTC Sense" app. Is that an extra thing you have to download from the App store?

8. AHanks12

If you go to Menu--->Settings--->Applications--->Manage Applications you will see Facebook and Facebook for HTC Sense. The HTC one constantly runs in the background undetected. So far the only way I have found to stop it is to follow the above listed steps and select "force stop." However, once your phone is turned off then back on again, it will start up and run until another "force stop."

9. necosino

necosino Well-Known Member

It is cooked into the ROM, and cannot be removed until a new custom ROM is made (which means waiting for root and an official ROM release, which will be a while).

AHanks12 likes this.
  10. AHanks12

@necosino

Thanks for the answer, albeit, not what I wanted to hear. Guess I'll just keep force stopping it until then.

11. nightfishing

nightfishing Well-Known Member

How did you determine that this particular app was the one preventing your phone from sleeping?

It doesn't have that effect on my phone.

It is a POS, but a harmless one for most folks.

12. nightfishing

nightfishing Well-Known Member

Also, if you go to settings>sync>fb for htc sync> and remove the account what happens?

13. GrandMasterB

GrandMasterB Go Go Gadget Flow! VIP Member

I use it and rather enjoy it. Have seen no negative effects from it either.

14. AHanks12

Once I figured out that my phone wasnt sleeping even when the display is off, I pretty much used the 'ol trial and error approach until I located
    Facebook for HTC as my culprit. As for your other post, I haven't tried that yet but I will today.

15. alison03

alison03 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if my question makes sense: I took the following steps you mentioned and saw both Facebook and Facebook for HTC sense under the applications. I think I'm only using one application though, and it looks like both are active. I don't need/want both running, but I don't know which one I'm actively using?

When I did setup at the beginning, I skipped the page where it said "set up social networks" (and gives you facebook, flickr, and twitter). I'm not logged into any of those. But I do have a facebook widget that I use, I think found under the "All Programs" window. Which one am I running? Why do both show they're active?

16. sunthas

sunthas Well-Known Member

I had my phone in "sleep" mode all night last night, barely used any battery, maybe dropped from 50% to 40% on the bars in About Phone > Battery. Didn't plug it in last night.

Not sure why you think anything that comes with the phone is prevent sleep. I certainly wouldn't buy that.

17. Mskgreenel

Mskgreenel Well-Known Member

Are you talking about the FB of HTC Sense Settings????

Menu->Settings->Accts & Sync-FB for HTC Sense-> (long press) then tap Account Settings (tap update frequency Every Hour, 2hrs, 4hrs, 8hrs, 12hrs, Once a day )

Data & Sync - Sync Live Feed (you can check or uncheck)
    Sync Contacts (you can check or uncheck)

18. mundyb

mundyb Active Member

It doesn't really matter why you want it removed, the fact that you can't annoys me. I hate the app, and am deleting my FB account too. So I want rid of the resource sucking piece of crap. If it only took .01% of my resources per week, I'd still want rid of it. Delete it, scrape it, can it, eradicate it... Gone!

So, does anybody have any suggestions as to how this can be done?

scrapp likes this.
  19. necosino

I love the facebook for HTC sense. Gives friend updates in the "People" list, and allows seamless and ridiculously easy photo uploads

20. necosino

Wait for root, period, no other options, deal with it :p

21. alison03

alison03 Well-Known Member

weird when I go to menu, settings, account and sync, fb for htc sense isn't there. So I assume I'm not running it?

All I have listed in general sync settings are:

background data (checked)
    auto-sync (checked)

then manage accounts:

backup assistant (grey)
    google (green)
    weather (green)

and that's it.

22. brandonhutch

brandonhutch Well-Known Member

I'm not quite sure what's going on with your phone, but I have both Facebook and Facebook for HTC Sense on my DI and my phone sleeps just fine. I have mobile-always-on NOT ENABLED and I still get my updates as they occur.

Are some of the DI different - ie. certain programs will make some of them stay awake and others not? I don't see how this is possible but I'm not a cell phone genius.

I'd either A.) Do some more fooling around to see if you might possibly have a different culprit or B.) Return the phone for a new one as it seems like you might have a bum.

23. Mskgreenel

I just told you.

24. syntrix

syntrix Well-Known Member

Just to make sure that this is addressed:

1. Post a list of all apps installed.
    2. What was your methodology used for your "trial and error"?
    3. I find it unlikely that HTC FB is the one draining your battery.

Again, I find it unlikely that this is it: Your statement: (the up time and awake time was the same)

I've used HTC FB since day one, and I never see up and awake as the same.

An easy way to see what is installed, just sync with AppBrain - the best Android apps and games on the Android market and you can copy/paste out of your workstation computer. I'll bet there's something installed that begins with A, ends in K, and has a T in the middle :D

25. Mskgreenel

Me too, I'm nosey I like to know what everybody is up too. :D