Facebook integration issues?Support

Last Updated:

1. cwrig

cwrig Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

As I wait for my Droid X to arrive (in a few days) Im concerned about some banter I saw on another forum about Droid X integration with Facebook / Contacts' and that it was "bad"

I currently have HTC Hero and love how facebook and gmail contacts integrate. You can choose which contacts are linked and it doesnt merge FB people if i dont have them in GMAIL. Like the facebook photos populating the contact and access to FB albums and statuses for my gmail contacts. It works really well.

But this banter I heard on Droid X indicated the motorola ver of this social integration is not so ellegant. That it merges all facebook contacts and something about if you use backup manager it saves new contacts to the phone NOT to Gmail!

This concerns me as I love the elegance of all contacts being in GMAIL. Can someone with a droid x who perhaps came from HTC Sense explain how contact management with facebook is different? Is it "Bad"?

Advertisement
  2. tannere

tannere Well-Known Member

I never had an HTC, I came from the storm, but here's my 2 cents........The FB that comes with the phone DOES put all your FB friends into your contacts list, links pretty much everyone you have as a normal contact with their FB account. That I like. I didn't like it showed EVERYONE both FB and Normal Contacts when i clicked the contact icon. However, you CAN change it to show just contacts and not FB friends with it. The options are "All Contacts" "Favorites" "FB Contacts" "Phone Contacts" so on and so on. I have it set to show just phone contacts.
    Where I did have the issue is when I downloaded the FB app from the market. To me it seemed to cause a lot of conflicts on my DX. ie. slowed down my screen when I went into text messaging, slowed down my screen when I went into contacts, etc. So I just got rid of the FB app. The notifications didnt seem to work well either. Never got updates despite having it check every half hour. I didn't care anyways being I got them in my normal e-mail account i have set up on the phone, and bookmarked the mobile FB site and check it there anyhow.
    As far as the back up, not sure how long you've had verizon, but I've had them for 10 years now. They had came out with something long ago called backup assistant. It used to be that as long as you had an online account set-up through verizon, this service was activated and you can have it sync new contacts everyday or check if you have new contacts. It does NOT sync FB contacts to their server. Only ones you have physically entered into your phone yourself. Otherwise I'd have way to many contacts it'd need to sync. I do believe there is a way to sync them still with Gmail or have them backed up another way. I'm not sure. I like the backup assistant and stick to that just because i've kept verizon for so long.
    Hopefully this kind of helps. I am sure other's will chime in with better info for you, especially the goiing from HTC part

cwrig likes this.
  3. cwrig

cwrig Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

If all Backup Assitant does is backup your contacts to a verizon server; I dont get it. Google already does this (very well). I supppseo if you arent using gmail and gmail contacts verizon's backup assitant might be useful. But I dont see how it can be any better than what Google does if you are using gmail/contacts.

The facebook integration does sound a bit messy. But it sounds like if I avoid using backup assitant at least my contacts will sync properly with google and not become "phone bound".

Anyone else come from HTC sense environment and successfully using Droidx's facebook integration?

4. tannere

tannere Well-Known Member

They came out with this way before Android was ever out. I was able to do this with an LG 4400 back in the day. Look that phone up and you'll see how long ago I am talking about. So it's more so a thing that's been around that they kept on android.

As for the FB stuff, it doesn't sync your FB contacts to your VZW backup assistant. Just the ones you physically entered into your phone yourself as i stated. I have 600+ FB friends, but only 400 contacts synced.

Anyway, sorry I couldn't help you much