Facebook Messenger

1. Nkasim

Nkasim Member

Before I start, apologies to anyone who has posted this before, as I am sure I am not original.
    If you're trippin' about permissions or just hate background memory consumption, just install the app, disable it in the settings, and you'll be clear to use the regular feature, like nothing ever happened.

Advertisement
    :
  2. nickdalzell

nickdalzell Well-Known Member Contributor

I'll never use Messenger. The days of chat clients ended in the 1990s with AOL and Yahoo! Messenger (who even uses those?) I had a short stint with it on iOS and it isn't something I wish on my devices at all. Often I'm using Facebook anyway so it makes no sense to shuffle between two apps when the feature exists in the Facebook app to begin with (and still works if you know how to root and mess around with your router)
  3. Nkasim

Nkasim Member

This means that you disable the app.

I have no quote to show you, that points out the significance of messenger, which you so profusely condemn.

I'm rooted, but I don't even think this will require it.

It just makes the regular mobile app, act just like it used to...
  4. Nkasim

Nkasim Member

Basically, if you have never received a message in Facebook, scoff and carry on...

If you're annoyed with that red, and are too lazy to open up the browser, install and disable.
  5. Nkasim

Nkasim Member

No sir, it doesn't sound like you use Facebook often at all.
  6. nickdalzell

I don't understand....

Seriously how less efficient can you get using two apps to do the job of one?
    Nkasim likes this.
  7. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor Guide

@Nick -have you opened Facebook recently? If you tap messages, it will just give you a screen that says you can't access messages anymore, you need the messaging app. Basically, they divided the Facebook apps. Messenger is going on a different direction, where it seems it's trying to compete against iMessage and Hangouts. So it's going to be able to send and read SMS, call directly from that screen etc.
    palmtree5 and Nkasim like this.
  8. Nkasim

Nkasim Member

Bro...

YOU HAVE TO DOWNLOAD IT TO VIEW MESSAGES THROUGH THE MOBILE APP.

But if you download it, and the disable the app through your settings, YOUR REGULAR FACEBOOK MOBILE APP WILL ALLOW YOU TO USE THE OLD FUNCTIONALITY, THEREFORE REDUCING THE AMOUNT OF APPS YOU USE FROM TWO, BACK DOWN TO ONE...
  9. Nkasim

Nkasim Member

Forget it, none of this will make any sense to you, unless you go on the mobile app or ask the Internet.

I'm sorry, I know how acidic, the pH of my sarcasm, is on this thread.

Certainly, this is partially my fault for apparently not being able verbalize, as clearly as I would like.
  10. nickdalzell

I can go into app settings, clear data from Facebook, log in again and restore messaging until it eventually forces me again, which I just repeat the process.
  11. chanchan05

That's tedious LOL.
  12. nickdalzell

Not as tedious as shuffling two apps to do the same thing which was far more efficient built in.

Besides, it ends up being a little over a week of use until it tries forcing me. By then I often clear cache anyway so it saves a step either way.
  13. Mikestony

Mikestony ~30% Carbon Black ± Moderator

I moved this thread into the "Android Applications" forum as it would seem more suited for it;)
    Nkasim likes this.
  14. chanchan05

I actually have been using messenger for a while now. I prefer it because of chatheads actually.
  15. Nkasim

Nkasim Member

Yeah, I see potential in it, I just don't feel like I need to take this, very developmental, first step.

Works really fast, as well.
  16. Nkasim

Nkasim Member

Since your responses indicate that you have not been able to follow along, and since I have a week off, and nothing to do, I have uploaded a YouTube video of what this thread was intended to demonstrate.

http://youtu.be/zBL7IRJyqqs
  17. chanchan05

Yup. Messenger is faster and lighter than the Facebook app. I actually began to use it as my SMS app before they decided to rework the app from ground up and removed that feature. As things are going, they seem to be going back that route to battle Hangouts and iMessage.
  18. Nkasim

Nkasim Member

I didn't even think about it as much. I just tried it out for ten minutes, and locked it up.

Haha, all this talk, and I just flipped it back on for functionality testing!
  19. nickdalzell

Still feels like an inefficient solution when the app had the feature and if you use both it's easier to use the app to do both. Saves internal storage and battery. Chat heads was uber annoying on iOS, often with them showing up at random on my screen showing old messages weeks old. I simply don't take kindly to being forced to use an app or specific OS. If I wanted to relive 1990s nostalgia I'd put Messenger, along with BlackBerry Messenger, AOL Messenger and the like and relive the glory days of Windows 98SE. But this isn't 1998. It's 2014.
  20. Nkasim

Nkasim Member

I think that if they integrate the original app into the messenger one, they'll be a phone product away from some kind of jewel.
  21. Nkasim

Nkasim Member

Again, this JUST uses one app...

You are correct about internal storage though. Downloading the messenger app, and then disabling it from being used, will take up like 40 megs.
  22. chanchan05

I've never had them showing up randomly on Android since they came out. They only popped out when I did have a message, and they have the decency of not coming up in games and videos.
  23. WVMontani

WVMontani Member

Speaking of Hangouts, I keep getting prompted to install it and I keep having to cancel it. I had it for a while but didn't like it, so I uninstalled it.

How can I keep from getting prompted to do an install?
  24. chanchan05

You don't AFAIK. It's part of the update for Talk, which is a system app for your phone. So you either just update it even if you don't use it, since you already have Talk on your phone and not use it (which is the same thing). Or you can root and uninstall Talk.
  25. nickdalzell

Even Google+ doesn't force you to use hangouts in the app. You're free to use their in-built messaging if you like.

Those chat heads were annoying. Soon as I got a new message the current plus every other in my history would simultaneously pop up as well, with the new message showing a number badge on its respective chat head. I tend to not delete old messages so you can imagine 10 or so popping up right along with the new one and each having to be swiped away each time leaving one smudge for each.

Besides, like the official, the Messenger app probably has tons of wake locks as well. Who likes chewing through their battery?

I simply will not be forced. If you like the app, fine. But don't force everyone into it. It makes no sense.