1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Facebook now has Push!General

1. amarryat

amarryat Well-Known Member

My FB account settings (online) are configured for email, no SMS.

The FB push is so fast that I am getting those notifications a few seconds before the email notification comes through. Hmmmm, this may become annoying getting double notifications...
  2. Mr Marcus

Mr Marcus Well-Known Member

Ok, no success there either.

So far, in addition to having all FB notifications checked in the app, I've:

* tried interval at NEVER, 30 min, 1 hour.
    * had SMS notifications both ON and OFF (from my fb account settings)
    * turned email notifications both on and off (from my fb account settings)
    * logged out and back in to my FB account on PC.
    * restarted phone twice.
    * had someone post on my wall. Nada.
    * had someone like and comment on my status. Nada.
    * drank some cognac. Nada.
    * liked and commented on someone else's status, with others' comments posted after. Nada.

I am uninstalling and reinstalling FB updates at the moment.
  3. amarryat

When I go to FB on my computer, I have clicked on the chat bar at the bottom right, selected the options, and made the "go offline" selection.

After this update, that keeps getting undone. Next time I go into my browser, I am back online. Prior to this update, I was offline until I went into chat.
  4. amarryat

What does your "Accounts and sync" section look like? I had removed the Facebook for HTC Sense, and only have Facebook. And that icon is not green because I do not have sync contacts checked.
  5. Mr Marcus

I noticed that too- thought I might have hit it mistakenly tho. I rarely use chat, so being logged in on the comp got my attn. Guess that was it.
  6. Mr Marcus

I believe it was Howarmat above that had no FB showing up in this screen either, and he's getting push. I can't add FB to this either- if I hit 'Add Account' and tap FB, it just stares at me.

[​IMG]
  7. amarryat

Right above that, is BAckground data checked? It is on mine.
  8. Mr Marcus

Oops, meant to mention that. Yep, it is.
  9. HoochieCoo

HoochieCoo Well-Known Member

Mine doesn't work either, and shows the same as some others in Accounts & Sync (it's not listed, but when I click Add Account it's there but I can't select it).

First I tried uninstalling the updates, and reinstalling. No Go.

Then I tied uninstalling Facebook all the way (I am rooted) and installing just the new version. Nope.

Not only that, but when I try to go into Chat, it just gets stuck on "Loading" forever.

I think it's just jacked for some people. Useful release.
  10. jayjay1122

jayjay1122 Well-Known Member

Well not that I expected a different result, but I went back to a clean install of 2.2, left all settings as default and only installed FB...

drum roll please!!!!!!!!!!

Still no Push Notifications.

I cannot fathom how it works on one Incredible and not another!
  11. amarryat

Mine is not rooted. Any chance that is the culprit?
  12. Mr Marcus

This is ridiculous.
  13. Mr Marcus

Howarmat's rooted, and he's getting push.
  14. slinky317

slinky317 Well-Known Member

My theory is that it doesn't have anything to do with the phone, but rather Facebook - possibly the various options on your account could affect this. Or they could just be slow as hell rolling it out to everyone, but if that's the case then I can't fathom why they wouldn't just have a post saying so.
  15. howarmat

howarmat Well-Known Member

yes i am going to guess this is on FB side and not the phone since problems are occurring on EVOs, Incs, Droids etc
  16. jayjay1122

Tried unrooting as well.

Can you (and Howarmat for that matter) check something for me on your PC? If you don't mind, can you go to Account -> Privacy Settings and then at the bottom under Applications and Websites go to Edit Your Settings and look at Applications You Use.

I could have sworn at one point that I had Facebook For Android listed there as having permissions and now it is not.

I am running out of ideas
  17. slinky317

slinky317 Well-Known Member

I don't have Facebook for Android there either, although Facebook for BlackBerry is there. Not getting push notifications. Could this be it?
  18. jayjay1122

This HAS to be it....let's hope the ones who have it working can confirm!!
  19. howarmat

howarmat Well-Known Member

i have HTC Sense, no android permissions though
  20. Stupifier

Stupifier Well-Known Member

I watched the movie Push................it didn't help. Any other bright ideas?
    Caipirinha and EgoDogg like this.
  21. retiredberry

retiredberry Well-Known Member

So how do you get Blackberry out of that spot and FB for Android in??
  22. amarryat

Not there for me. However "HTC Sense" is there for me though it hasn't been "used" in a long time. Not really sure how it even got there.
  23. amarryat

I have FB for Blackberry too since I used to have a Blackberry. It hasn't been used in more than 6 months. I am getting push notifications.
  24. jayjay1122

Ok well I am lost then as to what could be causing this anomaly! The funny thing is all the wild speculation on the FB for Android page and that SO many people cannot get Push to work and that NOBODY from the app dev team has made a comment about it.

There are now 843 comments just on the post that says 2.2 or better is necessary and most people posting are not getting notifications. I still say it has something to do with permissions in FB and that the phone itself is not the problem everyone is seeing.
  25. freddyttt

freddyttt Well-Known Member

can someone explain what push is...

thanks-