1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Facebook on CaptivateSupport

1. xThaNaturalx

xThaNaturalx Well-Known Member

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone had any information on using things like Facebook chat on the Captivate. I've heard of Bloo and Meebo, but I haven't heard much positive feedback from them. I wasn't sure if anyone else knew of any other good alternatives. I'm rooted and I'll sideload as a last resort, but wanted to see if there was anything easier first.

Thanks.

Advertisement
    :
  2. BigCat8

BigCat8 Well-Known Member

I use eBuddy as a catch-all instant messaging program (even though it's a battery killer), but if you're looking strictly for Facebook chat, look no further than Facebook's own Android app!

The most recent update to the Facebook app added Chat functionality, so it's built right in.
  3. xThaNaturalx

Thank you, sir. I hadn't noticed that because I had just done the previous update like three days ago.
  4. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

imo.im also supports Facebook natively, better than Meebo. And I think Trillian (just out of beta, not free) also supports Facebook. But any IM app that is XMPP-capable can connect to Facebook.
  5. Alli_Anne_BB

Alli_Anne_BB Active Member

i have yet to use the built in fb chat in the app itself, i use ebuddy and works great for me! off topic a bit, but is anyone else having problems with the fb app being a little big laggy at times? sometimes it is 100x faster to go through the browser.
  6. yahoowizard

yahoowizard Well-Known Member

GoChat= Win, but yeah, it's what I've been using before the Facebook update came out.
  7. gcobb

gcobb Well-Known Member

The Facebook app works fine for me.
  8. Captain19

Captain19 Well-Known Member

I was using AIM to chat with FB but now with the new FB app I uninstalled AIM.
  9. xThaNaturalx

Just an update. I'm going to try a couple of these. The Facebook app's chat is pretty iffy. I really don't like the app at all.
  10. soda4rocky

soda4rocky Member

I don't mind the Facebook app on Captivate. I am glad they added chat, which I use pretty often. It seems to run better than the chat on my old iPhone 3G facebook app. That thing NEVER would stay connected, wouldn't let me send messages, etc. So far, so good.
  11. xThaNaturalx

Really the only problem I'm having with it is that it's pretty selective when it comes to chat. People will talk to me but I won't get it until I go to the actual site. I don't know, it's pretty weird. You also can't tag pictures or view comments from people. They have a lot of work to do on it.
  12. Android26

Android26 Well-Known Member

I have the same problem sometimes. You're right. I don't know what it is. Maybe the app itself, since (like you said) its faster to just use the browser to access Facebook. Maybe not though, since no one else seems to be having any trouble.
  13. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

The FB app does run like molasses. It's pretty horrible. Not sure what their problem is. FB really doesn't care about Android and their app is an insult.
  14. gcobb

gcobb Well-Known Member

It runs a little slow. No big deal for me.
  15. rabbitmd75

rabbitmd75 New Member

can you change your profile pic on facebook through the app or through the browser? if you can then how can it be done?
    thanks