Facebook on the DROID - 4 options

Last Updated:

1. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Just thought I'd create this thread for the other DROID-owning facebookers out there. I am somewhat of a frequent facebook user, and the longer I own the DROID, the more I experiment with different ways to view and/or work on facebook. Of course I use the DROID's standard facebook app, and it's OK, but it falls short of being able to accomplish certain things.

Most of the time, I open the Dolphin Browser and go to -> touch.facebook.com I like that layout a lot and find navigating around facebook to be pretty easy.

I also use m.facebook.com

And when all else fails, I just login to the regular site facebook.com. This is actually very useful for deleting posts, and certain other tasks that can't be performed using the other links/methods.

Bookmark each and take em for a testdrive. Hope this helps.

Advertisement
  2. johninbigd

johninbigd Well-Known Member

I hate m.facebook.com. It's awful. The other mobile site, touch.facebook.com, is better but you can't get to your inbox, as I recall, and you can't switch to the live feed from the useless news feed.

None of the Facebook apps for Android are any good because you can't send messages. They claim that the Facebook API doesn't allow that, but that's baloney. If the iPhone app can do it, then Android should be able to do it.

So, I'm left with using the full site. It's the only thing that really works for me.

3. SamMax

SamMax Well-Known Member

what about x.facebook.com ? That's what I use.

4. johninbigd

johninbigd Well-Known Member

That just redirects you to touch.facebook.com.

5. icstars989

icstars989 Well-Known Member

Well the dude at facebook who made the iphone app got all pissy with apple and last I read is refusing to work on apples app due to app store policies. Maybe he'll jump aboard the Android ship?

6. hamburglar

hamburglar Member

i use Bloo for fb.

7. karalinagirl

karalinagirl Member

I use a combination of things too. Bloo's notifications are better than the stock app, but my email notifications are even quicker with K9. So I usually go with those. The touch site is great, but I hate how you can't use the "back" button for navigation. I also agree that the regular site is great when you need to delete something.
    I hate that I have to use so many different things, I hope a better/updated stock app comes out! :p

8. sooper_droid12

sooper_droid12 Well-Known Member

@karalinagirl: How YOU doin'? ;)

@OP: The native FB App is decent; iPhone's FB is slightly better laid out, IMO. I think what I'd like to see is a better executed FB widget, as the Android native widget sucks big time. I'd like to see a bigger profile picture with a legible "notepad" style reporting of their post.

Either way, it "appears" that Android 2.1 has a better FB interface. We'll have to wait and see.

9. tsaunders

tsaunders Well-Known Member

The FB app made for the iPhone was made by a FB employee, which means he most likely has access to api that other developers are not allowed to use, this is why Bloo can't do messages.

Hopefully the developer at FB will help to create a better one for Android.

10. BiGMERF

BiGMERF Well-Known Member

i htink we all can agree that any facebook for android is simply terrible when compared the app fopr the "other" phone. i use my ipod touch for facebook. only use my phone as a last resort

11. rawness

rawness Well-Known Member

You can get to your inbox and send messages from touch.facebook, but yea you can't switch from news feed. I still don't understand why facebook created seperate live/news feed, I liked it better when there was just one

12. JohnDa

JohnDa Well-Known Member

Facebook app sucks compared to that on Blackberry...and it could be so much better.

13. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member

I know the Android FB app isn't great, but you really liked the one for the BB? I couldn't stand that program. I preferred going to the archaic facebook website on my crappy Curve browser over using that.

14. karalinagirl

karalinagirl Member

Agreed. That app was SLOW and didn't have many features. I really only used it for notifications and to reply to stuff.

15. MysteryloverAnne

MysteryloverAnne Well-Known Member

Right now I am bouncing between bloo and opening FB in the browser window depending on what I want to do. But this is a huge inconvenience and I hope some brilliant designer is working on a solution.

16. JohnDa

JohnDa Well-Known Member

I guess I should have made my point more clearly. The BB facebook app was more functional allowing easy comment and contact, while the droid has to always reroute you to the facebook website. I didn't say that I liked the Curve's interface - it was certainly uglier than the Droid's - but you have to admit it was more functional. Ultimately, I was just expressing my disappointment in the Droid app. The Droid is a far, far superior phone to the Curve so I simply have higher expectations for it.

17. awesomefabulous

awesomefabulous Active Member

My Droid FB app doesn't even work correctly. It never updates notifications even though it is supposed to. I just use the browser.

18. Coronach

Coronach Well-Known Member

I'm not really happy with the Droid FB apps, but I'm also not exactly happy with FB in general. The whole site seems to be buggy and unstable.

Mike

19. Mysta

Mysta Active Member

Yeah, I just use the default app and email notifications. Hopefully 2.1 will bring a better default app at the very least.

20. MysteryloverAnne

MysteryloverAnne Well-Known Member

Even the e-mail notifications don't bring you to the right FB page on the Droid; I always end up on the main page. Other links in other e-mails seem to operate perfectly. :(

21. skunkpbguy

skunkpbguy Well-Known Member

Good to know I'm not the only one using multiple approaches to my FB addiction. :D

22. curtdragon

curtdragon Active Member

I use the native app for contact sync, Bloo for notifications and either of the mobile sites for friend requests and notes lol. I wish the native app was one stop.

As for the ppl hating on the Blackberry app, that is what I loved about it. I didnt need to go anywhere else to see what I needed

23. JDW

JDW Well-Known Member

Yeah, I use the native app for sync too. And facebook's email notification, and the actual site whe I have to go on it. Bleh.

And the BB app was lame too.

Only app I REALLY miss now from BB land is a real Yahoo IM client. Meebo is about as good as it gets, and that sorta sucks on many levels.