Facebook Owns The Word Face

Last Updated:

1. Bob Maxey

Bob Maxey Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So what do you all think? As soon as Facebook pays the fees, they will own the word "Face." Good idea, bad idea, will it stand up in court?

Should a company be allowed to do this?

Bob Maxey

Advertisement
  2. gallandof

gallandof Well-Known Member

i thought nickolodeon already owned the word or at least had it copyrighted, due to their character on nick in the morning named "face" (this was close to ten years ago so im not 100%)

3. SoFLO

SoFLO Guest

I think it's pretty silly.

4. Vihzel

Vihzel Destroying Balls Everyday VIP Member

I believe it's only in the context of social media networks so someone can't do like facewall.com or something. They don't actually own the word "face" as in like we have to pay up to use the word.

5. Bob Maxey

Bob Maxey Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

In August, they tried to prevent the use of the word "Book" in much the same manner as they are trying to own the word "Face." If they want to protect Facebook, I am all for that; they must protect what is theirs. But to own the rights to the word and apply it across the board to any and all social networking applications is wrong in my view.

Will it hold up in court, I am not too sure it will.

Did you ever hear about a company called PannixIP or IPPannix (sp?) they actually owned a patent for all e-commerce and asserted that they own all rights to selling via electronic methods. That included web sales, selling by e-mail, etc. Not too sure what their current status is, but it would affect everyone selling anything on the web.

The USPTO needs to be cleaned up.

Bob Maxey