facebook/people picsGeneral

Last Updated:

1. MongolStomp

MongolStomp Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So, I apologize if this has been posted before, but I haven't been checking this reguraly anymore(I think due to the OTA and because it's summmer!)\

Anyways, I have facebook synced up to my contacts so that their fb pics can also be their contact photo, except they only show up half the time. is anyone else having this problem? it was sorta annoying before but now it's really bothering me because I just DL'd the handcent update and now they have the contact pics next to the chat bubble. Is there anyway to keep the pics on there at all times or any reason they go away?

by the way I'm on the OTA and using launcher pro... if that changes anything.
    thanks!

Advertisement
  2. thenestor

thenestor Well-Known Member

I don't know why they go away, but I've found that increasing the frequency of my Facebook sync (to "Every 2 hours") actually helped. That way, when they do go away, they come back sooner. And also, that way less information is being updated during each sync. It also seems that the more Facebook friends you have, the more problems you have with the sync.

Here's what I suspect happens, but I can't verify it:
    1. Facebook sync starts.
    2. Your phone receives a list of contacts that have updates.
    3. Your phone removes the pictures of those contacts before downloading new copies.
    4. Something interrupts the sync. (Maybe it interrupts the actual stream of data, but I think it's even more likely that Android prematurely kills the app that's doing the updating, to free up memory.)
    5. Pictures aren't updated again until the next scheduled Facebook sync (or possibly not until the next manual sync if the previous sync left corrupt data behind).

If you really just want their pictures and not their Facebook updates and phone numbers and such, you can always use SyncMyPix instead:
    SyncMyPix - Android app on AppBrain

3. HunterJohnson

HunterJohnson Well-Known Member

^^^ totally agree with what you suspect.

I have noticed that when opening my peoples app that It will constantly have "new updates"(the green circles) popping up next to there name. Some times it will show 3 or 4 updates, even after I have gone to the Facebook about a few hours earlier can check these.

***Random side note question, that may have something to do with this

Does anyone know the difference between the applications for android applications for facebook. If you log-on to facebook and choose apps it has "Facebook for android" & "HTC Sense" (My applications shows 2 of the "Facebook for android" apps.???)

4. thenestor

thenestor Well-Known Member

It's weird that you see two copies of "Facebook for Android".

Anyway, "HTC Sense" is the "Facebook for HTC Sense" application built into your phone, which is used for syncing your Facebook contacts and anything Facebook-related in the People app.

"Facebook for Android" is the "Facebook" official application that you downloaded in 1.5 or came pre-installed with 2.1, which is the one you can launch from your programs to check your wall, send Facebook messages, and get "Poke" notifications and such. It's also the one that gives you the Facebook widget for your homescreen.