• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Facebook Question

dermacular

Jun 10, 2010
I do not have my EVO synched with Facebook. The reasons for this are:

-Do not want Facebook events or birthdays in my calendar.
-Do not want Facebook friends cluttering my contacts.
-Do not want Facebook profile pictures assigned to my contacts.
-Do not want Facebook status information in contacts.

Basically I want Facebook to remain totally seperate from the rest of my life, and not to dominate my phone. When I want to look at Facebook I will, otherwise I don't want to see it. I have been using the Facebook For Android App as well as the mobile and touch sites, and getting along just fine.

Lately I have realized that it is difficult if not impossible to share links and sites I am looking at on the phone by doing this though. Oftentimes when I click on text boxes it will not allow me to type as well.

How can I most easily sync my phone with Facebook in order to easily share links from the phone, without having Facebook encroach on all the other areas of my phone as listed above?

Thanks.

In the Calendar, hit Menu-Calendars and turn off Facebook calendar.

In the People app, hit Menu-View, and uncheck Facebook.

Simple, and has been talked about before on here if you would have done a search.

Reactions: guzepooh
Upvote 0
I'll try to squeeze this question in here instead of making a new thread. I'm having an issue with the Facebook for Android app. I can't uninstall it from the phone. I tried going to Applications->Manage Applications. 'Uninstall' was greyed out when I selected Facebook. I tried force stopping it, but that did not work. When I try to drag the icon to the trash bin and hold it there, it asks me if I want to uninstall; I click yes and then it says Facebook cannot be uninstalled.

The main reason I want to remove Facebook is because I want to reinstall it. Currently, I'm not getting any Facebook notifications in the top bar. I tried checking my settings in the sync menu. Facebook for sense is listed and checked off. Facebook for android is listed, but not checked off. The phone wont allow me to select it or make any changes.

Upvote 0
I'll try to squeeze this question in here instead of making a new thread. I'm having an issue with the Facebook for Android app. I can't uninstall it from the phone. I tried going to Applications->Manage Applications. 'Uninstall' was greyed out when I selected Facebook. I tried force stopping it, but that did not work. When I try to drag the icon to the trash bin and hold it there, it asks me if I want to uninstall; I click yes and then it says Facebook cannot be uninstalled.

The main reason I want to remove Facebook is because I want to reinstall it. Currently, I'm not getting any Facebook notifications in the top bar. I tried checking my settings in the sync menu. Facebook for sense is listed and checked off. Facebook for android is listed, but not checked off. The phone wont allow me to select it or make any changes.

You cant uninstall the Facebook app, its part of the phone. Keep in mind Facebook for Sense and the facebook app are two separate things. If you want notifications, you need to login to the app, select Settings, and turn on notifications.

Upvote 0
I do not have my EVO synched with Facebook. The reasons for this are:

Basically I want Facebook to remain totally seperate from the rest of my life, and not to dominate my phone. When I want to look at Facebook I will, otherwise I don't want to see it. I have been using the Facebook For Android App as well as the mobile and touch sites, and getting along just fine.

Lately I have realized that it is difficult if not impossible to share links and sites I am looking at on the phone by doing this though. Oftentimes when I click on text boxes it will not allow me to type as well.

How can I most easily sync my phone with Facebook in order to easily share links from the phone, without having Facebook encroach on all the other areas of my phone as listed above?

Thanks.

I feel your pain. The EVO doesn't make it particularly easy to do this, but after some trial and error I found the best way to make it work.

First, under accounts and sync delete "Facebook for HTC Sense" and "Twitter for HTC Sense" (if you plan on using Twitter). Then select "add account" to re-add the "Facebook for HTC Sense" account. Plug in your information (e-mail and password) and click "sign in". As soon as you do (once it goes back to the list of your accounts) click "Facebook for HTC Sense" and unselect "Sync Contacts". You have to do this really quick. Basically you're trying to disable it from syncing your contacts before it tries to sync the contacts. It might take a couple of times, but eventually you'll end up with what you want.

Now, you can view statuses, pictures, make comments, etc. via the "Friend Stream" but your friends and you're contacts won't be synced together. In fact, you won't even have the option to do so. That's how I keep them separate.

Hope it helps.

J

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones