Facebook sync problem?

Last Updated:

1. Bapp

Bapp Member This Topic's Starter

Hey guys, I am just wondering if anybody else is having the same problem I am.

Basically at least once a day for the last two or three days, my HTC Hero /G2 Touch, temporarily loses the facebook sync application. All the contacts pictures disappear as do the facebook status and events notices, and then after a while, it comes back.

Not a devastating flaw, but irritating all the same, as it is one of the nicesest features of the phone.

Anyway any thoughts or opinions would be much appreciated.

B

Advertisement
  2. agaruba

agaruba New Member

I'm having the same problem with my phone as well but i also have an additional problem. I noticed that when i had my Htc Magic, there was an app called Facebook Sync. It would sync some of the photos of the contacts and not others. This problem is also happening on the Htc Hero and sometimes i also experience exactly what you have talked about.

When i link each contact to facebook and click "use photo and birthday" it confirms that is has been done but when i look at the contact photo, there is none. In addition when i edit the contact and click use facebook profile photo it starts downloading the supposed photo but never stops and just remains there until i cancel the operation.

Might this be a problem with the facebook server? :confused:

3. ripkord

ripkord Well-Known Member

Yeah I have noticed this a couple of times too, I think it probably is the facebook server aas I had difficulty logging on using a net connection too around about the same time. I dont think theres a retry setting built into the hero software, one for the devs maybe.

4. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

This might be due to Facebook being targeted by a similar primitive DDoS attack to that which crippled Twitter earlier this week. More details here.

5. Bapp

Bapp Member This Topic's Starter

Hi Guys, I have noticed that when I lose sync and then it comes back again some of the contacts haven't re-sync-ed. As far as I can work out the ones that haven't are people whos name isnt exactly the same as there facebook profile, eg I left out their middle name on the phone.

I also think this happens when you add a new friend on facebook. I hadn't added anyone for a few days and it was fine but then today I added someone and it went off again.

But like I say as long as the names match it always comes back.

6. bodger

bodger Member

Just to add to this, the names don't necessarily need to match, as you don't need to use their name twice. When you add a new contact and link them to Facebook, you don't need to add their name at the top of the new contact screen as well - it'll get it from Facebook.

7. asimeow

asimeow Member

I have the same problem... Facebook contact photos disappear then reappear etc. Is there no way to locally cache these pictures? I can't see any logical reason for the developers to want to delete the pictures when a sync fails, but I guess that's just the systems developer in me talking...

8. zukini

zukini Well-Known Member

I'm having real difficutlys keeping my phone logged into facebook today so I'm guessing facebook has troubles today. Anyone else having this problem?

9. flerpo

flerpo New Member

Yup, i've had trouble today. Noticed it after i updated to the new rom, so im happy it's not just me

10. zukini

zukini Well-Known Member

I updated last week and it was perfect. Now its logging out within a minute of being logged in.

11. skimminstones

skimminstones Well-Known Member

Same here, kept logging itself out of facebook all day. Thought it was just me so ill leave it for today and try it again tomorrow.

EDIT- Im on t-mobile btw

12. emotiveicon

emotiveicon New Member

I can confirm that I'm also having this problem with a HTC Hero (2.73.405.5 ROM Update) on the Vodafone UK network. Do we know if this is a problem with Facebook or perhaps Vodafone. I note that Peep doesn't work on Vodafone and I'm wondering if they've now done something that is causing the Facebook sycing to now fail. Is anyone using a Hero that isn't on Vodafone having the same problem?

13. chaz_uk

chaz_uk Well-Known Member

I "think" it's a login issue. I set mine to update less frequently and it hardly happened then.

I've actually just set my facebook account up for deletion so I wont be using it anymore now.

14. godster

godster Member

Can confirm i'm having this exact same problem today on Orange. Keeps loging me out every couple of minutes...very annoying! I also have the latest ROM.

This needs sorting as i'd iamage a lot of people reply on the Facebook synch for thier contact pictures.

15. zukini

zukini Well-Known Member

emotiveicon... Yep me. Maybe a 24 hour wait could be handy here as its could be a tempoary facebook fault. I had issues trying to get into my privacy setting (to check they haven't added somthing new) on my computer. So they could be having issues.

16. alistair182

alistair182 Member

Been having the same problem for ages. Facebook pictures and updates vanish and randomly re-appear all the time. When the pics are gone I go to look at contacts facebook updates and get something along lines of "Updates are downloading or not available", then they re-appear in time.

Today it logged me out completely for the first time, and funnily enough, as I had never noticed, I added a couple of friends today for the first time in ages.

No idea what causes the problem but glad to bump the thread for anyone more knowledgeable than myself to suggest causes/solutions!

17. zukini

zukini Well-Known Member

It let me log in again and seems to be fine now. Must just be a glitch.

18. emotiveicon

emotiveicon New Member

Seconded - everything seems to be working now. Though most of my contacts need to be matched up again. Annoying.

19. trev

trev Member

This is still an ongoing issue for me, anybody got any news on this problem?