Facebook SyncSupport

Last Updated:

1. Ironsteal

Ironsteal New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi Guys,
    I recently discovered that on the Milestone you are unable to sync with Facebook, but I have also heard about some apps that you can install on your phone that allows it to work. I have a few questions about it.
    -What are the options when it comes to the apps?
    -Will I be able to recieve all the information that a user of say a Motorola Droid would be able to recieve
    -Is it risk free?
    :confused: I am very confused about this and would love some help,
    Many thanks :)

Advertisement
  2. tomatohead123

tomatohead123 New Member

Just got my milestone and was looking for this myself, come on people read the posts.

3. knudsen81

knudsen81 Well-Known Member

i use myfriend from market (paid) it sync picture but i don't know if it sync more, i only use it for picyure to my contacts

4. Brendanmurphy

Brendanmurphy Well-Known Member

Not available in 2.0.1 but people have reported it is in 2.1

5. Ironsteal

Ironsteal New Member This Topic's Starter

Is there a safe way to update the Milestone onto 2.1?

6. jonmorris

jonmorris Well-Known Member

Facebook Sync is in 2.1 for the Milestone (on my UK version). It adds status updates to each contact, as well as a contact photo.

I had to force the update using the method here;
    Manual Motorola Milestone 2.1 Update

You'll need to have installed the official Motorola software update utility, then download the ROM and the Motorola RSD Lite tool. The update takes a matter of minutes but WILL wipe the data on the device - so use any decent backup tool (e.g. MyBackUp) to back up the apps and settings, and let Google re-sync your contacts, email and appointments after you re-sign in.

Besides the Live Wallpapers and FB sync (and other tweaks), you're going to be stunned when you see the new camera interface! It's all-new and amazing. I'm amazed nobody is talking about this, as it now makes the camera so much more usable - and the photos are much better as a result.

7. Brendanmurphy

Do not do this if you have A Telus Milestone tho. You will lose 3g and we already have the Camera App on the Milestone it came pre-installed for the Telus Version :p

8. dunjamon

dunjamon Well-Known Member

I have updated to 2.1 today, but is there anyway to manually sync photos? For example if a person uses a nickname on facebook.

9. Brendanmurphy

You may be able to add their nickname to there contact card. But i haven't tried that i just changed it to their nickname to get their photo.

10. fejker

fejker Well-Known Member

If the contact has the same name OR e-mail OR phone number in FB and your contact list it will sync otherwise you have to choose Sync all and not just existing contacts in your contact list. The problem with syncing all is that you get a lot of junk on your phone that you'll never use (people you don't really know or never communicate with).
    FB sync worked great for me and have all the contact icons, e-mails, phone numbers and other details. At least for the contacts that use FB that is.

11. dunjamon

dunjamon Well-Known Member

Doesn't work. I've tried combos of everything, bar changing the name to match facebook, but then I wouldn't be able to find them on my phone! Oh well, it's only a couple anyway.

Edit...managed to find a work-around if anyone else is having the same issue. Just merge the FB contact with the one on your phone! Seems to be working and updating fine at the moment.