Facebook taken over your contacts list?Tips

Last Updated:

1. The Hoff

The Hoff Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I just stumbled on this myself, and it's been bugging me so thought I'd share.

From the Home screen:

1. Press Phone.
    2. Press Menu.
    3. Press People.
    4. Press Menu.
    5. Press View.
    6. Untick Facebook (and anything else you don't require).

Done :)

Advertisement
    Yukimori likes this.
  2. jboze

jboze Member

Too bad that only removes them from the People area and not from the actual "Phone" contact list. This is a bug that hTc really needs to address as far as I'm concerned.

3. The Hoff

Certainly helps though :)

4. Tiny65

Tiny65 Member

I heard of this issue and will be checking on it tonight when my new Desire HD gets in. From my understanding you can group your contacts so that the FB contacts are in their own group. Now this is if I understand the instructions properly.

My issue is that most of my FB friends are in the states and I do not contact them outside of FB. I also have about half my friends in Germany which I contact all the time. From what I've seen I can manually connect these accounts from my contacts and FB which would be OK.

Does this seem like I'm on the right track? I don't want to have all my FB accounts listed in the Contacts list or at least have them seperated in a group....

5. jboze

jboze Member

That only works for the "People" section of the phone. If you go into your phone's actual call feature from the homepage, you get all or nothing depending on whether you sync your facebook account or not. There's no middle-ground at this point in time.

6. tripmeup

tripmeup Member

As others have no doubt pointed out elsewhere, why not make the changes for People and then place the people icon/widget on your homepage screen...
    Then to make a call, hit the icon, choose and dial....simples...:D
    Just a different way of doing things....that's waht Android allows...

7. ScarfaceNinja

ScarfaceNinja Active Member

It worked for me, I unlinked my FB account from the phone, then relinked it but didnt make it sync. No more FB contacts in 'People' :)

8. Denidoank

Denidoank New Member

I did the same with ScarefaceNinja and it also worked for me...

9. Yukimori

Yukimori New Member

thank you for your advise :)

10. The Hoff

No problem, glad to be of help. Thanks for the recognition ;)

11. ace5

ace5 Member

Thanks to man , facebook is my second life
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. cascas

cascas Member

I also had this issue, figured it out now... you guys are doing it wrong.

It's a good thing to link your phone contacts to their Facebook profile. You can access so much more content for each contact this way, via the "People" app. Sync your contacts and turn off viewing Facebook in the "People -> Menu -> View" setting. It will suggest linked contacts for you and you can do the rest manually by editing contacts in the "People" app.

Now set a shortcut to "People" on your home screen. THIS IS YOUR CONTACTS APP. If you did the above right, you should see just your phone contacts, but with their Facebook picture and accounts linked. It will not show the other contacts from Facebook as you have turned those off above.

The "Phone" app on the homescreen is NOT YOUR CONTACTS. It is your recent call history, and when you have no recent call history, it does populate it with your entire contacts list (and you cannot exclude anything from this like you can with the "People" app). HOWEVER, once you start making calls, the "Phone" app will now be populated with your most recent/favourite contacts.

This did me take me a little while to get right, and it got me very frustrated, but now that I have it set up correctly I promise you it is an absolutely awesome interface. You just have to get over the fact that "Phone" is recent call history not contacts, and "People" is your contacts app.

Btrivedi and springy like this.
  13. The Hoff

cascas, actually doing as I suggest does still provide you with suggested contacts and the ability to link each contact to those in your phonebook. Obviously for the linked contacts you'll get updated content (facebook status/picture).

All my OP was doing is changing the view, not removing the functionality entirely.

Thanks for posting the above in any case.

14. RussWWFC

RussWWFC Well-Known Member

Nice trick but why oh why are we unable to edit the "phone" list. Disgrace that it's so long in and HTC still havn't bothered to sort it