• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Facebook to Contacts

Is there any way to only link the contacts you already have on your phone to facebook friends?
when I add Facebook to messages, my contacts show all the contacts i added into my phone + ALL MY FACEBOOK FRIENDS!
i just want the facebook to be linked to the contacts i have on my phone.. if i try to delete some of the facebook people (no phone numbers, just facebook info), it says that im deleting them from my facebook friends list.
sorry for the long post, but does anyone know how to fix this?

Not sure I get what you're saying for sure, but if you click menu on a contact there is a 'link contact' button so you can link an old contact from your phone with a facebook contact or any other contact. I had to do this with quite a few of mine.

Yes, any Google and Facebook contacts that didn't automatically link have to be linked manually. Once you do that, you can filter out the remaining FB contacts with Display Groups.

Upvote 0
Can someone please give step by step directions on how to only display your phone contacts and not the face book contacts.

I went to contacts, hit menu, display groups but not sure what to do after that.

Thanks

Once you're there, just pick Google. That will display only your contacts that are synced with your Gmail account.

Reactions: bigheadanthony
Upvote 0
This works perfectly for me when I am in the Contacts app, but if I go into the phone and then into contacts, it goes right back to showing both my facebook and google contacts. Any ideas?

There is no way to filter the contacts in the dialer section. This is the same across several Android phones.

If you want to see filtered contacts, you have to use the Contact app, not the dialer.

Upvote 0
Unfortunatly i linked about 100 contacts, and the contacts who had their mobile # on their facebook and in my google, happened to show the phone # twice. And it doesnt let you delete the FB # so id go to edit and delete teh google #....NOW when i go to display google contacts only, those people dont show up because i deleted the # so it wouldnt duplicate...damnit...now i have to go to facebook to see my friends. Because it seems google already synced w my phone and i guess overwrote my contacts. So i cant reload those people onto my phone without doing it manually...grrrr

Upvote 0
Ok this is fb this is getting annoying. Friday I put my facebook account on my phone. My contacts and pictures did NOT change. Well today Sunday all my contacts pictures have changed and I have every facebook friend in my contact list. I DONT want this I just want my contacts to be contacts and NOT linked with facebook. There are people on facebook that I probably wont contact so why do they need to be in my phone contact list! :/ sigh :(

Forgot to mention that I was getting status updates before the contact thing happened.

Upvote 0
While on the subject of FB contacts, is there a way to override displayed name? I.e., I know that a friend who calls himself Guitar Hero on FB is really John Doe in real life. I edited the contact and put correct FName, LName in, but the contact is still displayed as Guitar Hero.

When I go back to edit the contact, my the FName and LName that I entered are still there, just not displayed.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
The whole facebook taking over thing has led to me just removing Facebook from my phone, which really sucks because I'd like to use it.

Is there ANY way AT ALL to not sync facebook contacts to my phone? I don't want everybody in my facebook contacts on my contact list on my phone. Display groups won't work for me because I'd like to use Dialer--> Contacts and Contacts Search shortcuts a lot.

Upvote 0
The only work around for the Facebook-Contact problem I've found is this:

You have to go into Settings->Accounts and delete the Facebook account (you will lose use of the new Social Network App that came on the DX). Then just install the regular Facebbok app we all used on our D1's and select Sync with Contacts. Fixes it for now.

Would be easier if Motorola would just give use the Sync with Contacts choice when initially setting up the phone.

Hope that made sense.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones