• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Facetime and hot spot?

D

Deleted User

I was reading an article saying that vzw got fined for blocking hot spot apps. Can we expect the hot spot be enabled for third part apps without paying extra?

article:
While the offer may sound generous, Verizon isn't likely making the service available out of choice. So-called open access rules established as part of Verizon's purchase of the 700 MHz spectrum, which it's using to build its 4G LTE network, prohibit the carrier from restricting the usability of apps on the spectrum. The Federal Communications Commission has found Verizon in violation of the rules at least once, fining the carrier $1.25 million in July for blocking apps that allow people to use their 4G LTE smartphones as Wi-Fi hotspots.

SO, I have unlimited data. Does this mean I'm screwed?

Under the agreement, a Verizon representative said that the company will allow all customers with a tiered data plan, whether they have a 3G smartphone or a 4G smartphone, to subscribe to a third party app that enables free tethering.

With tiered data the wifi hotspot is "included" in the plan. More or less it just means you don't have to pay anything else to use it. This doesn't apply to people still on the grandfathered unlimited plans. You would be required to pay the $30 a month for the hotspot service. I have a feeling that those on grandfathered plans are going to start seeing less and less features available to them without a nice fee involved. Let's face it, they don't want people on these plans anymore and will eventually find a legal way to force you into one of the tiered plans or to a different carrier.

Upvote 0
With tiered data the wifi hotspot is "included" in the plan. More or less it just means you don't have to pay anything else to use it. This doesn't apply to people still on the grandfathered unlimited plans. You would be required to pay the $30 a month for the hotspot service. I have a feeling that those on grandfathered plans are going to start seeing less and less features available to them without a nice fee involved. Let's face it, they don't want people on these plans anymore and will eventually find a legal way to force you into one of the tiered plans or to a different carrier.

Root, thanks.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones