• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Factory Data Reset

Herm99

Aug 16, 2010
Ok after the gingerbread update my phone has been much worse then before. I won't bore you with the details now, but i'm curious on a couple of things. Should I remove the SD card before I do the reset? Is there any programs I can download from the market that will allow me to retain some of my apps and stuff after the reset?

Any general info I should consider before doing the reset?
Thanks!

Not an expert, but I would probably format the SD card (after copying the contents to a PC, just in case formatting is the wrong thing to do, in which case you could then copy back the contents). I'd leave a newly-formatted card in there, in case the reset writes stuff to the card. But again, not an expert, just what I'd try first.

Given the time this phone has already taken from you, I would want to restart with everything clean, to eliminate software from the equation. So I would prefer to re-install apps rather than trying any sort of backup-and-restore. You should have all or most all of your apps in your "My Apps" library sections on the Android Market and Amazon. You might lose a few that were removed from the Market or Amazon and can't be found elsewhere.

I would first run app dragon or similar app lister and then print the list of all my installed apps. Then re-install in small batches (after the Gingerbread update) over several days, to ensure none of them caused your problems.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones