Factory Data Reset

Last Updated:

1. Jase Winter

Jase Winter Member This Topic's Starter

Just wondering if I can use the 'Factory Data Reset' option to restore to a out of the box state but retain the root, I would like to restore it to hopefully resolve an issue I have since I installed a market place app and don't really want to have to go through the full rooting process again.

Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. Jase Winter

Well, after getting impatient for a reply I figured i'd try it..... I wouldn't recomend it, my phone got stuck at the HTC boot screen and just tried to reboot over and over. I booted it in the HBOOT menu and was able to re-flash the rooted rom and got it all working again but for a while there I thought i'd just turned my

3. Pojken

Pojken Well-Known Member

Hahaha... I did the same thing. I wanted my HTC widgets back because MyBackUp took them away. Freaked me out good. :D

If you want it to "refresh", I found this somewhere... tried it and accidentally wiped my home screen. Applications-> Manage Application-> HTC Sense-> Clear data . Is that what you wanted? I don't think it wipes the applications, though. Won't try it again, but you might give it a shot.

Tim

4. Jase Winter

I actually had to reflash it again after I got it all working and used mybackup to restore everything as I too lost all the HTC widgets, I used factory reset again as I knew I could now get it working again if the same happened and I also wanted to see if it would do it again. So the same thing happened and I had to re-flash it. In the end I used mybackup just to restore the apps and their settings but set the rest of the phone up as new.

I just unticked the app I didn't want going back on my phone at the restore point. All is well now though.

But yeah, just to reiterate, don't use the restore factory settings option, it didn't work for me..... twice.

5. Ronaldo

Ronaldo Active Member

so is the MyBackup app not a good idea?

6. Pojken

Pojken Well-Known Member

It's not that it's a bad idea. I still used it to restore my call stack and my texts. However, do NOT restore Android Home if you want to keep your HTC Widgets. If I have to restore my phone, I will not restore my apps because it seems that it will only restore about 70% of them. To me, it's just easier to restore through reinstall.

Oh, and I gave a hint but will do so here - I use a site like Cyrket to choose my apps. Then I use Barcode Scanner to get me to the Market. So much easier than searching one by one through the phone. Plus, if you want, you can save them as bookmarks in a folder so you can easily restore them later if need be (by using "Open in all tabs").

Tim