factory reset after root....

Last Updated:

1. lakai113

lakai113 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

simple question.. some people are saying that a factory reset can help with the lagging after the 2.2 update.. is it ok to do the factory reset with my phone being rooted??? is there any steps i should take before i do the reset?? i get that i should prolly back up the phone settings and what not which i will also have to figure out.. but lets just start with the first question...

will factory resetting my phone that is rooted screw anything up?

Advertisement
  2. eraursls1984

eraursls1984 Well-Known Member

Its ok to do a reset while rooted. You won't lose root either

3. Justintoxicated

Justintoxicated Well-Known Member

It will just wipe all your applications and settings and data for your apps.

4. lakai113

that does not sounds like something that should make my phone lagg less..
    i already went through and deleted most of my apps

5. Justintoxicated

I don't know about lagging less, But I think on any software system a fresh start always helps with that (unless your talking about Database stuff that takes a little longer to populate on the first try).

A Factory reset fixed a number of things on my phone. If your having problems its definitely something to try. Backup all your apps with Titanium backup, or the new android back, or appbrain.

Titanium backup is the only one that backs up data for the apps though (I think). I started with fresh installed apps, and reloaded data only for those that were a pain to configure. If you have launcher Pro you can backup all of it's setting and restore once you have re-installed. Under privacy settings you can tell google to Back up my data, and automatic restore. and give that a shot if you want. It never hurts to have more than one backup method :)

You will have to re-add all your widgets, re-do some system settings, re-syc All bluetooth devices (most painful for me).

6. lakai113

so would i lose luncherpro plus, root explorer, and the lock screen app?/?
    i would like to get back what i have paid for..lol

7. Justintoxicated

Did you buy them from the market? They should all reload and re-install fine. I have done this with 4 or 5 paid apps. The only one that fails for me is the Droid-X Bootstrapper, because I didn't get it from the market I got the free one. I just use titanium backup to restore that one every time.

8. lakai113

yesi did buy them from the market.. so thats good to know..
    i think i will do this reset tomorrow.. i dont want to miss any calls or text on a Friday night..lol

9. colchiro

colchiro Well-Known Member

For LPP you'll need to readd the serial to get it registered (assuming you bought it).

LP has an option to back it up to SD.

I'd also install AppBrain before a reset and create an acct on Appbrain.com and use that to reinstall everything you have now.