Factory Reset and grandfathered appsSupport

Last Updated:

1. airjordan223

airjordan223 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So I'm debating on doing a factory reset of froyo.

My question is what about apps like shazam, nfl mobile, etc. where they were free until recently. I dont want to reset my phone, re-download them, and then have to pay for the service I already had for free. Anyone know what will happen?

Advertisement
  2. zemerick

zemerick Well-Known Member

Unfortunately I would bet you will have to pay for them. That is entirely the point of grandfathering. They really do want you to pay, but they know they would get bad publicity if it was forced upon them after having been free. So, they just patiently wait until you do a factory reset, or upgrade your phone, etc. Then BLAM, they can charge you...and you don't feel like it's them that did it, but rather whatever forced you to need to reinstall.

Personally, I would look into free alternatives. I don't know those apps, maybe they themselves have useful free versions.

3. today

today Well-Known Member

Exactly my concern. I called big red and had the tech rep I talked with note my account that I fit the criteria for my free season of NFL mobile. Backed up my app on astro and went ahead with my reset. I hope everything works out. I'm always so paranoid about call taker promises. The reset took care of the few issues that were occurring. I had put and removed quite a few apps in the four months I've had the inc and some apps had left garbage behind when un-installed and I wanted to clean start. So far so good. This froyo makes me feel like I got a new phone but with a couple little scratches. :D

4. airjordan223

yeah i think i might have to do that too.

let us know how it goes though. did you have shazam?

5. Joewoowoo

Joewoowoo Well-Known Member

do a app back up using astro or andro zip and then after your factory reset re inatall the app from your sd card. from your sd card

6. JimmyHat

JimmyHat Well-Known Member

What about Appbrain? If you sync with Appbrain prior to factory wipe, will Appbrain redownload the original apk files so that you have the same version?

7. airjordan223

Well I would try to use my SD card but the update fried it and deleted all my pics too