Factory Reset and Network Extender issues

Last Updated:

1. ParadingLunatic

ParadingLunatic Active Member

I decided to perform a factory reset on my Droid the other day simply because I was having a contact sync issue. I was having the problem where changes in Gmail would sync to the phone but changes/adds/removes on the phone wouldn't sync back to Gmail. Sync records on the phone showed it was days since the last successful sync. So I cleaned up my contacts on Gmail and did a factory reset on the phone. When I tried to activate, it failed to program the phone. I tried it numerous times and did options 1, 2 and 3, all failed.

To make a long story short for now, I believe my problem had to do with a neighbor having a VZW Network Extender. After googling for a few things I noticed someone who talked about problems activating with a network extender. They mentioned after dialing you get a two note beep when the call connects. I noticed this while at home but wasn't entirely sure. I read about this while at work so I made a call while there and noticed no beep. Once I got home sure enough, a two tone beep. So hopefully this helps others considering I wasted over an hour on the phone with VZW Customer Service. Although I will admit, I had a human on the phone within a couple of minutes, they were really polite and never did any cold transfers. VZW had me do a hard reset and a manual activation. Process is listed below.

Factory Reset

Go to Settings
    go to Privacy
    Choose Factory Reset

To Hard Reset

Turn off phone
    Hold down the X button and then press power button down until the screen glows
    Once the triangle icon with the ! in the center comes up, hold down the up volume button and then press the camera button.
    Choose the option to wipe the data/reset, choose yes, when it's complete choose reboot.

To Manually activate the phone
    BY PASS ACTIVATION SCREEN
    At starting screen touch corners of the screen clockwise start from Top Left, Top Right, Bottom Right, Bottom Left (in the black part inside of the gray bars).

Bring up the phone
    dial ##PROGRAM (##7764726) hit Send (CALL BUTTON)
    SPC code is 000000 (six zero) press VERIFY
    Go to selection "01 User Activation"
    The below info you can get from VZW. Just tell them OTA activation isn't working and you need the info to manually activate.
    MIN = For me it was my 10 digit cell # but it could be different for you
    IMSI=00
    MDN=Same as MIN for me, but once again could be different for you
    CDMA=18

Phone will restart automatically

after restart try making and receiving a phone call. Once you make a test call, dial *228 Opt 2 to update roaming info

Advertisements
  2. justjimjpc

justjimjpc Premium Member VIP Member

I moved this into Droid tips .... Think it is a good thing to know ... I also added a couple of Search Tags to help it to be found easily

3. Jeffery

Jeffery Well-Known Member

Should be: Top Left, Top Right, Bottom Right, Bottom Left

Just trying to help. :)

4. ParadingLunatic

ParadingLunatic Active Member

Whoops, you're right. Sorry, copied that from an earlier email to myself to remind myself of everything I did. I'll see if I can edit my original post. Thanks!

5. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Well-Known Member

I had to do this manually as well because my house is pretty much a dead zone so I had no reception until I dialed *228 on the phone, which required an activation! :)

My CDMA Sys ID is 22, though. So that's different between phones too. I recommend everyone goes into ##PROGRAM and saves their activation info just in case they have to do this manually, they can.

6. wfs29223

wfs29223 New Member

Now forgive me but what are the differences in all the resets you have done. I know what a factory reset is but what does a hard reset do and all that?
    Thank guys!