• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Factory Reset flaw

Yeah.

My opinions are here -

http://androidforums.com/threads/this-doesn-t-look-good.919704/

You may note with interest that the article repeatedly compares yaffs2 vs eMMC as a function of age.

yaffs2 is a file system type - iow - software. I haven't seen it employed since 2009 so I don't know where they obtained their Froyo samples.

eMMC is a hardware architecture centered around the storage controller.

If you read further, they make a big deal out of the necessity of also wiping internal storage as opposed to not.

Yeah. Good idea. Same thing that every other study has said. Along with everyone else on every forum when asked.

How easy is it to access the data at the end of the day, really?

I say it's not very likely.

They agreed with me but with softer language.

Who's right?

Here's your test -

Take a picture, place it on internal storage.

Factory data reset your phone, including storage.

Go find software to retrieve the missing picture without getting scammed, or, eventually getting the picture even after surviving scam after scam until you find the gold.

If you succeed, you'll be the first to do so in my time here, and that includes the plea to get back any image data at all on a daily basis.

Never say never - but I don't think that the sky is falling nearly as bad as ars technica would have you believe.

Reactions: svim and funkylogik
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones