• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Factory reset = no keyboard?

wolf_walker

Apr 20, 2011
VZW gs4, stock other than towelrooted.

I did a factory reset last night since it'd been a good while and all went fine, but it started into the setup wizard and no keyboard! lol
It had voice typing which was happy to transcribe my foul language but no keyboard installed at all. I'm at a loss as to how a factory reset can not have a keyboard. I repeated it three times, did a battery pull before 3rd attempt.
Gave up and downloaded a google keyboard apk and installed it, everything seems fine with the exception of it will not install the latest update, it tires and says there was an error. I don't really care about the latest update I don't think other than it not installing makes me wonder if it isn't indicative of another problem.

Thoughts?

I usually use SwiftKey, and after I rooted I might well have uninstalled the stock keyboard(s), surely that wouldn't effect a factory reset though?

If you do a factory reset all user-installed apps are wiped, as well as any customised settings and app data. That is all a "factory reset" does, erases stuff. It does not change the ROM (anything in /system) in any way, which means it does not undo any changes you made to the ROM.

So if you had SwiftKey installed as a user app it will be deleted. If you had previously deleted the ROM's keyboard that would leave you with no keyboard installed. So yeah, that would explain this perfectly.

Reactions: wolf_walker
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones