• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Factory reset, then going back to 2.2 + Nov. OTA + root

jryan727

May 31, 2010
I've seen lots of guides and posts about resetting a rooted android phone, but nothing for this specific case. Please forgive me if I just missed this, and point me in the right direction if possible, I have searched, I just haven't found anything that answers my specific question :D

I rooted my Incredible after the 2.2 update, then followed the instructions floating around here to manually install the Nov. OTA update. Now, I'd like to factory reset my Incredible, it's running really slowly, something is eating up CPU and my battery life, and I'd like to start fresh now that I know exactly what I'd like out of this phone. I'd like to arrive back where I am now (2.2 + Nov. update + root), except without my apps, data, and junk. What is my best course of action?

Thanks,
Jim

The best course of action is to use the RUU utility to restore it back to factory. As long as you're running Windows, you should download RUU_Incredible_C_Froyo_VERIZON_WWE_3.26.605.1_Radi o_2.15.00.07.28_2k4k_NV_1.70_PRL58006_release_1520 16_signed.exe and run that.

Then use Unrevoked to reroot your device.

If you need more guidance on the root part, go to http://jonsuh.com/2010/11/root-your-droid-incredible-how-to/ and that should help you attain root successfully.http://jonsuh.com/2010/11/root-your-droid-incredible-how-to/

Reactions: Medion
Upvote 0
Great, thanks for the info.

I guess my real question was that if I perform a factory reset as described all over the web, is it a true factory reset? Meaning I'd have 2.1, no root, just as I took it out of the box in June? Or will it just wipe my data from it and leave the system as it is. If it's the former, then I can just do that, and do everything I've done since.

jsuh: No Windows here, although I have access to a Windows machine if I absolutely have to. What does that utility do? A quick google says it's a "ROM upgrade utility", so does that just flash the Incredible with 2.15? Is that a "stock" VZW ROM?

Thanks,
Jim

PS I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with this question. Maybe I'll post a write-up once I get it figured out. I have a hunch there's others in my boat, who don't want custom ROMs or anything of that nature, just simple root for things like tethering. Once I have it back to 2.2+Nov. OTA+root, I think I'll make a nandroid backup to make this easier on me on the future

Upvote 0
RUU will restore it back to full stock (Android 2.2 after OTA, stock radio, stock kernel, stock apps, everything). It will end up like you just opened the package and turned on your phone for the first time. And yes, it is stock.

There are ways of doing it by flashing ZIPs, but I personally prefer the RUU utility; it does all the work for u. I don't have a PC either, but I made one available to me when I did it to my Incredible (I was in the same situation with a rooted pre Nov OTA)

Upvote 0
RUU will restore it back to full stock (Android 2.2 after OTA, stock radio, stock kernel, stock apps, everything). It will end up like you just opened the package and turned on your phone for the first time. And yes, it is stock.

There are ways of doing it by flashing ZIPs, but I personally prefer the RUU utility; it does all the work for u. I don't have a PC either, but I made one available to me when I did it to my Incredible (I was in the same situation with a rooted pre Nov OTA)

Great! Thank you for your help!

And just to be clear, once that's done, I can just re-run unrevoked to root it again? Just like I originally did?

Thanks,
Jim

Upvote 0
Don't think so but you can try... easiest thing to do is download the PB31IMG.zip and install from hboot.

Can find the file here:
http://androidforums.com/incredible-all-things-root/181255-how-downgrade-official-2-2-a.html

My phone crashed today. I had the CM7 Nightlies (Build #21 or #22, not too sure which,) and I have no idea what had happened. First actual problem it gave me in a month or so. I tried to recover to the last working save I had. To say the least, that didn't work, it got stuck on the white HTC Incredible screen. I tried doing a factory reset, too, and it's still stuck on the HTC Incredible screen.

I'm gonna try out the first file you had posted from Doug Piston's site, and if that does work, I'll post up.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones