Factory reset to fix mms issues...?Support

Last Updated:

1. Dobieg

Dobieg Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

hello!

i've had this phone since it was released and have never gotten handcent to work properly with MMS. I would get the following errors: unknown error, generic network error, unable to send.

Stock messenger works fine with MMS, but doesn't work properly if I have handcent installed. Once I uninstall it, it's fine.

As a last resort, I "factory restored" my phone. Handcent still doesn't work. Stock messenger occasionally needs to be force closed with "the process com.android.mms has stopped unexpectedly".

I know this has been discussed, but has anyone found a fix? I've searched like mad and can't seem to find one.

One additional question.....

when i factory restored my phone, if it's supposed to be wiped clean, then why are my photos still there? i removed the sd card, but it's still showing the photos stored on the phone. is there a way to do a TRUE restore? makes me think that there are bits & pieces of apps that may be causing these problems...?!

I tried 2 different methods:

settings > privacy > factory data reset

and

battery pull > volume down > power > clear storage

thanks in advance for the help! :)

Advertisement
  2. NoNoBadDog

NoNoBadDog Well-Known Member

I have used the DInc since launch day as well. I also use Handcent, but I have never had any problems with it at all. In fact, I have not had any of the issues you talk about.

A factory reset only wipes and restores the files and folders that were on the phone originally. Your photos and other files that you created will not be wiped (or at least shouldn't be wiped).

Dobieg likes this.
  3. INTREPID-NY

INTREPID-NY Well-Known Member

Dobieg likes this.
  4. Dobieg

Ok, I see...thanks for the info. So do you know of any way to wipe the files or folders that I've added?

I never had one single problem with handcent and my MOTO Droid, but its not the case with the incredible.

Thanks again for the help!

5. Dobieg

Thanks...tried them both but didn't make a difference. Even found a suggestion to clear all gmail contacts and re sync. Still no luck. I unexpectedly had the day off today so I thought I would try just about everything I came across. Haha.

6. INTREPID-NY

There are two types of memory on the phone. Phone memory and SDCARD memory.
    When you wipe the phone, it DOES erase your personal data on the Phone memory. You can also FORMAT your SDCARD to erase that data.

Performing a hard/factory reset
    You can return your phone to its original state, as it was when it left the factory. This is also called a hard reset. You might want to do this if you are giving your phone to a friend or relative and you want to remove all your data first, or if your phone has a persistent problem that is not solved by powering off the phone and then powering it on again.
    A factory reset is a drastic measure. It permanently erases all your personal data and customized settings, and also removes any programs you have installed. Make sure that you have backed up the information and files you want to keep.

If your phone hangs or freezes, we recommend that you do a “soft” reset instead of a hard/factory reset. To perform a soft reset, remove the battery, wait for a few seconds, and then re-install it. After re-installing the battery, turn on the phone.

Performing a factory reset via settings
    The most convenient way to do a factory reset is via the phone settings.
    Press HOME > MENU, then tap Settings.
    Scroll down the screen, and then tap Privacy > Factory data reset.
    On the Factory data reset screen, tap
    Reset phone, and then tap Erase everything.

Performing a factory reset using phone buttons

If you cannot turn on your phone or access the phone settings, you can still perform a factory reset by using the buttons on the phone.
    With the phone turned off, press and hold the VOLUME DOWN button, and then briefly press the POWER button.
    Wait for the screen with the 3 Android images to appear, and then release the VOLUME DOWN button.
    Press VOLUME DOWN to select

CLEAR STORAGE, and then press POWER.
    When asked to confirm, press VOLUME UP.

Dobieg likes this.
  7. Dobieg

yup...tried both of those too... :)

8. INTREPID-NY

Do you really text so much that you need handcent? Just trying to make you feel better. :D It's a mystery for sure since it works on other Incredibles. Maybe the next version will work. It has to be something on your phone, but after a factory reset the only thing left is a setting or configuration that is not reset.

You can try one more thing - Dial: *228 and then 1.

Dobieg likes this.
  9. v8dreaming

v8dreaming Well-Known Member

I hard reset my phone and still had issues with handcent. switched to chomp and haven't had any... yet...

Dobieg likes this.
  10. Dobieg

Haha...I was thinking the same thing. I came to the conclusion that I don't need to have handcent so badly. I just don't like when things don't work the way they are supposed to. I'm giving up if this thread doesn't resolve anything. :)

I actually don't mind the native messaging all that much. I got used to it by default. Haha.

have a good night!

11. Dobieg

tried out chomp and thought it was pretty good. i think i'll give it another go! thanks! :)

12. v8dreaming

v8dreaming Well-Known Member

No problem.