Factory Reset to Improve Performance?General

1. Radeon962

Radeon962 Member

I have my S2 (SGH-i777) set up how I like it now using Apex Launcher on top of stock Samsung ICS. Runs very well, but it gets a touch laggy here and there. The phone is totally stock and I'm not looking to root or flash ROM's as the phone does everything I need and with the Apex Launcher and Google Chrome is excellent.

To get to this point though, I have downloaded/installed/removed a lot of different apps/launchers/themes/etc. over the past 10 months or so and wonder if the remnants of all of them could be cleaned up by doing a factory reset and then setting up the phone from new again and reloading just the apps that I want.

Kind of like doing a fresh install of Windows and then reloading your programs.

Anyone tried this and what were your results?

Thanks, Bill

Advertisement
  2. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum Moderator

If you updated the phone to ICS, I would highly advise a factory reset. As for resetting to get better performance, the only time that will help is if you have corrupt files or misbehaving apps.
  3. Radeon962

Radeon962 Member

I have not had a bad experience with the ICS update but have noticed recently that there have been some FC issues. Nothing too serious and the phone really has been a lot more enjoyable with ICS and Apex. I'll have to back everything up and give it a go.
  4. Radeon962

Radeon962 Member

So would a factory reset not move me back to Gingerbread then if I am currently running stock Samsung ICS? I purchased the phone last November so it originally had GB and was updated with ICS after it was released.
  5. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum Moderator

No. A factory reset will clear user data for the current version of Android. GB doesn't exist on your phone anymore.
    Radeon962 likes this.
  6. Radeon962

Radeon962 Member

Perfect. That's what I wanted to hear. Thanks for you.