Factory ResetSupport

Last Updated:

1. GoinOnTilt

GoinOnTilt Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Sorry if this is a repeat thread. I did a quick search and didn't see anything.

Looking to do a factory reset of my wife's droid. her froyo is very sluggish and she's complaining about it. Everything I read says a factory reset usually does the trick and is night and day.

How do I do that?

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement
  2. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations! Moderator

Look in Settings. Should be an option to Data Wipe/Factory Reset. Your Darling Bride will lose ALL her data! The screen lag won't go away with a reset, because it's a fact of life with Android 2.2...

3. GoinOnTilt

GoinOnTilt Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

She doesn't have any data. She really doesn't take advantage of any of the features of her phone. She uses internet, mail, and text. She's got a ton of apps, but I've stored her app list on appbrain. All of her contacts are synced with Google, right?

4. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations! Moderator

Her contacts are, but her SMS/MMS history and call log are not. MyBackupPro will back those up to either the SD card or online. 30 day free trial.

If you can't find factory reset in settings, power off the phone, hold the "x" button on the slideout keyboard and power it back on. That will put you in recovery and the option to wipe will be there.

GoinOnTilt likes this.
  5. ukyfan

ukyfan Member

If you are worried about losing your texts try SMS Backup. It saves all of your text messages to your gmail account. I installed it and think it works great! I have flashed a few different roms and it was always able to bring back my messages. Give it a try it's free.

6. colchiro

colchiro Well-Known Member

What about contacts? I didn't see Backup Assistant on my brother-in-laws Droid or Market or I would have reset it.

He can't update his phone to 2.2. When he checks for updates, he gets an error. Sorry, I don't recall what it says.

7. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

Contacts are synchronized with your Google account, provided there are no errors - and when you perform the reset and then re-enter your account info, they are synchronized back.

8. colchiro

colchiro Well-Known Member

Thanks. I found the answer an hour after posting the question.

For the X, a few of us are trying this: http://androidforums.com/motorola-droid-x/186672-everyone-updated-2-2-take-look-should-help.html

Clearing the cache, doing a factory reset and turning off the 2.2's backup/restore feature before entering a Gmail acct, to prevent pre-2.2 settings getting restored from Google's online backup. I'm not confident trying that with the original Droid tho, due to the chance I'd lose his contacts.

It's one thing to screw up your own phone when you know how to restore things, another to screw up a phone when they live an hour away.

9. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

The settings backup, as I understand it, in the original DROID, is separate from the contacts synchronization. the contacts are synch'd by the from the account settings menu, where you can choose whether to synchronize or not - and if in hte future you turn it on it should still synchronize those accounts already in your Google Account.

You can test this easily by first logging into your Google account from a computer and exporting your contacts (so you'll have a backup just in case I am wrong and it wipes them out), then turning off the settings backup and restore feature and finally rebooting and signing in to your google account. Immediately after verification, you should be presented with a screen asking which parts of your Google account you want to synchronize - uncheck contacts, and let it set itself up.

A few (minutes, hours, days, whatever) later, log back in to your Google account on your computer, verify your contacts are still there (and if not import them) and then enable contact sync in Settings --> Accounts - they should all repopulate your phone.