Factory Resetting - Best approach?

Last Updated:

1. jimdriver2

jimdriver2 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I've caused my Desire to kind of 'break' with the apps2SD trick on 2.2 resulting in it not updating apps stored on the SD card, or downloading and installing new ones to it.

Looks like the only way to fix it is a factory reset.

My plan is just to pretty much wipe everything on my memory card minus mp3's, movie files and my phone numbers vcf backup. I know technically I shouldn't need to wipe the SD card, but seeing as the problem is slightly related to that I thought that might be safer.

Can someone who's factory reset theirs before tell me if there's anything I should be aware of?

Advertisement
  2. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

Even if the apps are there, they won't need wiping.

Download mybackup to recover data.

3. jimdriver2

Yeah I know that's probably true, but something is wrong with my Desire and i've gotta sort it as it's doing my head in.

Basically I used the adb shell trick to allow further Move to SD option on apps from lazy developers. It worked fine for months, then something broke last week and it will only update apps or install new ones if they are solely being installed on the internal memory. E.g. I have to move apps to phone memory before the update will work, and with the Move to SD trick applied I can't install anything new as it defaults to installing on the SD and automatically fails.

I've checked all over the web for a solution, as stuff will move happily between the two once installed, but I haven't got anywhere. Even the geniuses at Xda had nothing to say. I reckon it's just some file somewhere got stuck in some state and it needs a factory reset to clear it. In the off chance that's on the SD card somewhere, i'm gonna wipe everything i'm not 100% sure about.

4. bryant2408

bryant2408 Member

Hey, i had got the same problem now!
    is it that the only solution is a factory reset?

5. jimdriver2

Yep it is the only solution, but there is a lot of good news. It completely fixed the issue, it hasn't reoccurred again (did the FR months ago) and i'm still using the adb trick. Best of all the FR resulted in me regaining a good 20mb of internal memory, due to what I presume was lots of little lost tiny pieces of memory.

Make a list of all your apps, back up your contacts and then go for it. The whole process took me only a few hours until I was completely restored and was well worth it.

6. bryant2408

bryant2408 Member

this work like a charm.
    thanks man!