• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root factory restore after root

I just ran root using the update.zip file availed in the sticky and all has gone well and I'm underway to a flashy new rom.

However, I've been having some stability issues lately, prior to root that have persisted: space bar just goes on and on, some apps hang for a while, some difficulty grabbing a signal, among a few minor things. I know a factory restore will resolve these things usually. Do I need to unroot first though? If not, will it remain rooted or will I need to re-root? Should I restore before doing my backup so I am backing up a "good" copy?

Thanks all for you help and patience in advance. Still figuring a lot of this out.

I did a factory restore and I'm still experiencing the issues. They seem to be worse since running the root, but it didn't happen immediately afterward, so I'm skeptical. I downloaded Titanium Backup and Busybox (required for Titanium) right after I rooted.

My impression is that rooting doesn't change anything except give you access to superuser files (like doing a backup), and so I'm a bit confused on why it would be acting up. Like I mentioned above, these problems were prevalent before root, I just seem to notice it more often now especially over the last day or two.

Upvote 0
did you do the fatory reset in the phone or did you odin to stock?
if you did an odin to stock then it could be a defect phone in which case you can get ahold of tmobile and get a new one due to issues coming from factory. just make sure that you are back to stock and not root if you decide to go with the tmobile option.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones