Factory->Root->Factory Froyo 2.2

Last Updated:

1. dpetrosky1

dpetrosky1 Member This Topic's Starter

Jul 25, 2010
    Ok, so I've had my Droid Inc for about 5 months. 2 months into it, I found that you can root the phone, and I did root it after reading up on it.
    My question now is:
    Since I have a rooted phone, (the Firmware version is 2.1-update1) and I want to go to the 2.2 OS.
    Can I go back to factory settings, update OTA from my service provider to get the 2.2 OS and then go back to a rooted phone to enjoy all the perks that come with having a rooted phone?
    If so, can someone give me a step by step on how to do this.
    Thank You!!

2. NilsE

NilsE Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010

DizkoDan Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2010
    The short answer is no. You cannot accept the OTA without doing some manual labor first. Factory reset will not fully unroot for you. I personally believe that if you are already rooted (and want to remain rooted), then why not just install a 2.2 ROM and enjoy some of the extra's (or even enjoy not having all the extra crap in some cases) instead of getting the OTA? There are a few excellent ROMS that are based on the OTA.

If you don't want a custom ROM, and want to stay sudo-official (I don't care what anyone says, if you rooted, you are no longer official), then the guide that NilsE linked to will certainly help you get there.