• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Failed 2.3.3.40 OTA update help!?

deftdrummer

Android Enthusiast
Nov 13, 2009
Ok, so I'm not a noob but I'm feeling like one. I rooted my Droid X several months ago using Z4root. I deleted some bloatware, but very conservatively - only the usual suspects like Amazon and CityID.

So anyways, I reinstalled the Bloat following the method advised in the thread titled "How to install system apps as system apps." I copied the missing apps from the system dump and reset permissions using Root Explorer.

The one thing I didn't do was remove root. I understand Z4root got pulled from the market and now has a new "unroot" option, which I haven't tried yet because I have also read that some users were able to get the OTA update regardless. Some lost root, others didn't.

So basically I need help installing the new OTA update. I should also point out that I skipped the other 2.3.xx update that was in between official Froyo and the 2.3.340 update. Would that be an issue?

Also, I never applied any custom roms or themes or other specialty mods but I am overclocked using DX overclocker. Is there something I am missing? Any help would be appreciated.

The update should work with root. I don't have as much experience with these issues as some here, but I'd suggest flashing it to 2.2 OTA then updating.

It worked for me after I bricked my phone. Had a similar situation to yours- uninstalled apps and tried to get them back before the update but bricked the phone.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply I got back into the swing of things that has to be record time. I reverted back to 2.3.15 and somehow didn't lose all my settings. Lost root but that was expected. Performed the OTA update to 2.3.3.40 and then re rooted. Paid for Titanium Backup Pro, froze all the bloatware and will be doing a full backup in just a few minutes. That has to be a personal best. Thanks for the help.

Upvote 0
I would have hoped you would have backed up BEFORE doing anything with bloatware. That's the backup you want for ota.

I have to say I did this last time and it didnot work for me.

Once I rooted 315, I got bootstrap and recovery, made a back up, dated it for when. Even left things alone for a week before roming and what not.

Use my orginal back up, worried that the ODEX would fail (why I don't know but I was coming from Chevy SSX rom back to stock. Backup worked, booted but would not allow OTA.

Checked system apps, still couldn't OTA. unrooted (using the computer software tool, not z4 and not the manual method). Still no OTA.

SBF was the only thing that would work for me, and I have no idea why I had such issue. If I knew what I did I wouldn't re-do it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones