'failed to mount system'

1. idic

idic Well-Known Member

Hi,

Unlocked and rooted stock 4.2 JOP40C Nexus 10, all has gone well. Root was successful, and apps like Titanium Backup, DataSync, and so on that require root all work fine.

However, when trying to mount /system in ES File Explorer or FileManager I get a message saying 'failed to mount system'. I'm trying to install the AOSP Browser but it won't let me paste the apk, nor will it let me change permissions for the folder.

I've tried downloading a couple of apps that say they will mount /system, but although I don't get an error message, /system doesn't mount either.

I'm stumped. Root was successful, but for some reason this isn't working.

Incidentally, before I unlocked and rooted the tab wouldn't take the 4.2.1 update with stock recovery. I assumed once I'd rooted I'd be able to apply a new ROM with TWRP. Backups work fine, but I get a status 7 on trying to install a new ROM. Could this be related - i.e, is TWRP also having trouble mounting /system?

Any clues would be very helpful! I've never had this much trouble rooting a Nexus device - currently own GNex and N7, and no problem rooting those...

Thanks.

Advertisement
    :
  2. Atma

Atma Well-Known Member

I don't remember having to mount anything to install anything. I have had to change mount r/o to mount r/w to rename the superuser file to get the Time Warner app to work. Try Root Explorer. There is a little tab at the top left to mount r/o and r/w.