Failed to S-OFF unlocked WFS GSM(UK) 2.3.5

Last Updated: 2012-05-03 00:20:05
  1. jimhwin

jimhwin Member

I've trawled so many claimed methods to root (S-OFF) my WFS, but none have worked for me.

I have a UK Orange WFS 2.3.5 which has been unlocked using HTC Dev (so now HBOOT 1.09.0099). But no method seems to get S-OFF for me. One factor might be that my Windows is on a Macbook using bootcamp, but Windows seems to work fine in all other regards.

I've tried most of the methods outlined in this forum. I also bought the XTC clip with no success.

Help!

- JimW

Advertisement
  2. sisu

sisu Well-Known Member

CafeKampuchia likes this.
  3. CafeKampuchia

CafeKampuchia Well-Known Member

If all you are trying to do is root to be able to modify your room or install a custom ROM, then sisu is correct. All you need is an unlocked bootloader and you can follow the guide above. If you want to go deeper and modify thing like radio firmware, then you need s-off.
  4. jimhwin

jimhwin Member

1. After unlocking, I tried an app that needed root - but it said I was not rooted. So I take it that unlocking does not give root access.

2. I tried the 480954 method but it didn't work. Lots of flashing screen but no root.

(And other methods too - also no root).
  5. CafeKampuchia

Your assumption above is incorrect. Your phone is probably rooted already. But once rooted, you must install either SuperUser or SuperSU to grant superuser access, otherwise the phone will not be able to utilize root privileges.
  6. jimhwin

jimhwin Member

I have Superuser and it tells me I have "No apps in list". I also tried Root Check and it says my device does not have root access.

:( Sorry. But I wish your quote was correct.
  7. CafeKampuchia