Failing out..

Last Updated:

1. Haywire

Haywire Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I keep trying to get SPRrecovery onto my droid with rsd lite. Well, it keeps failing out. I've tried different vesions of the spf file, different versions of rsd lite.. Everything it seems.. What can I try next? I really want to revert back to 2.0 so I can get root on my droid again.

Advertisement
  2. fox

fox Well-Known Member

what is the error you are getting?

also make sure RSDLite is atleast 4.6

3. ska.t73

ska.t73 Well-Known Member

I have seen some posts here about placing the RSDLite program on the root of your C: drive in windows. That seems to have helped others.

4. Haywire

It never even really starts to do anything, I just get a failure. Also, I dont know if this means anything or not but my device info never really shows under the box there in rsd lite.

5. Fabolous

Fabolous Superuser VIP Member

So it's not even detecting that the Droid is connected?

Do you have the drivers installed? Is the Droid in bootloader mode?

6. johninbigd

johninbigd Well-Known Member

I just went through a lot of this yesterday. If your device isn't even showing up, make sure you have the right USB drivers from Motorola installed. Have you already done that?

I was one of the ones who had to move the file to the root of C: to get it to work. I have no explanation for that, but it worked and it has worked for others. You might try that once you get your device recognized by RSD Lite. You may also try running RSD Lite as administrator.

7. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Well-Known Member

8. johninbigd

I think that's the very question at hand, Shadowdude777: Why doesn't it work when it does for so many others? I suspect a driver issue in the OP's case since his device isn't showing up at all.

I don't understand why I and others have had to move the sbf file to the root of C:. That doesn't really make any sense, but it was a simple thing to test and it immediately fixed the problem. I still suspect it's a Vista 64 issue, or an issue with RSD Lite on Vista 64. Who knows. I had already seen the video you posted and I found very detailed step-by-step instructions elsewhere on this site. I was doing everything right, but the process was still failing until I moved the file to a different directory.

Perhaps someone who knows more about RSD Lite should shed some light on the issue.

EDIT: On a side-note, my Droid is having some hardware issues and my replacement unit should arrive tomorrow. So, I'll get a chance to try this all again tomorrow night. I'll try to test this issue to see if I get the same results.

9. Haywire

Well, I do have the 64 bit drivers for motorola downloaded, but that still doesn't seem to be the issue. Yes, the phone is in bootloader mode (acheived by powering up and holding the d pad up)

I've reinstalled the spf file, rsd lite.. about the only thing I havent re-installed is the driver, I think maybe I got a bad source of it somehow? Can someone perhaps offer up a different like to a 64bit driver for windows 7?

10. johninbigd

USB and PC Charging Drivers - Motorola USA

That's where I got my drivers.

Which version of RSD Lite do you have? Also, I'm not sure if this is necessary, but do you have USB debugging turned on in the phone? I was told to turn it on, so if you have it turned off, try turning it on to see if that helps.

11. Haywire

Thanks, it was off but I turned it on..

12. Fadelight

Fadelight Well-Known Member

I fought with 64bit W7 for two days before finally giving up and using my laptop which had 32bit W7. Worked like a charm first try, no fighting.

I concluded that RSD hates 64bit OS's.

13. Haywire

Well I dont really have another computer so thats not going to do me much good..:-( I'm at a wits end with this, I want it done but for the life of me I can't figure it out.

14. johninbigd

Is RSD Lite still not seeing your phone at all? Nothing is showing up in the window pane at the bottom?

15. johninbigd

I just stumbled across this on another forum. Maybe give it a try, too:

Set RSDLite to run as admin, then use a command console, either powershell or cmd.exe and run it from command line:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Motorola\RSD Lite\SDL.exe -f xxxx.sbf -t 2"

Where xxx.sbf includes the location and name of the sbf file.

For example, this is what I had to do to get it running under win7 64 bit.

1. Started up powershell.
    2. changed directory to where SDL.exe is ("C:\Program Files (x86)\Motorola\RSD Lite\")
    3. Renamed my sbf file to 21.sbf and placed it at the root of another partition (try different locations if one doesn't work, preferably at the root of the drive).
    4. SDL.exe -f D:\21.sbf -t 2.
    5. Let it finish flashing.