Failure Rate on a 32GB MicroSD

Last Updated:

1. HumanMachine

HumanMachine Member This Topic's Starter

Hey folks HumanMachine here with a little query for those of you who were lucky enough to have picked up a 32GB MicroSD for your phones.

I had, and lost mine, in the course of two days. Short story incoming. TLDR Below

I was using my phone at work and decided to change my Live Wallpaper, I'd downloaded a few of them and was going through them just to see how they looked in motion. I remember specifically looking at the "Starfield" wallpaper. I then selected the "Battery - Couple the ship's energy source with phone's battery" To see what the option did. I backed out to apply the Wallpaper... And the Droid X locks.... Weird I thought, maybe she's just lagged.

Turned out a lot worse than that. She was just straight up frozen. Stuck on this unusable frozen starfield... I couldn't quite remember how to reboot the phone... or even if it were possible, Couldn't power her down, so I removed her battery, figured that would be enough to get her back to life.

I was met with a message, once the phone loaded up. "SD Card blank or has unsupported filesystem" Not the first time I've seen this issue pop up on the android forums. I immediately popped the MicroSD card into my little USB dongle and attempted to access the MicroSD. Shows up in "My Computer" just fine... but when I tried to access it? "Please insert disc" et cetera et cetera.

I try to format. No dice, Computer won't even find the thing. Try my SD formatter, no dice... Stick the 16 GB card back into the phone, and we're sailing again... And here I am staring sadly at the card.... I tried for about an hour more to breathe some life into it. I just couldn't get the computer or phone to read the card. Same error messages.

TLDR For those of you who wanted to skip the story

SD Card died... pathetically, didn't lose much but still.. annoying.

My question, do we have any idea what the failure rates are on these bad boys? I didn't mistreat or even do much with mine before this issue came up. Hopefully I just had a lemon. Unfortunately, the store I got mine at. Verizon store actually, didn't have any, nor do they know when they will get a shipment of them....

I'm bummed. go figure. Time to play the waiting game.

Advertisement
  2. kamikazekyle

kamikazekyle Well-Known Member

Get in touch with SanDisk directly. Those cards have a warranty and might be able to have a better turn around than your local Verizon store. Verizon got hit pretty heavily with their pricing mixup recently, so I imagine their on-hand stock might be kinda low.

Failure rates are probably on par with other SD cards, though the 32 GB cards use a different manufacturing process I hear. That might contribute to higher failure rates, especially since this is the first generation of 32 GB cards. But, I don't have any real facts to back that up, so it's just a hypothesis at the moment.

3. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

+1 You don't have to go through Verizon.

4. Eazail70x7

Eazail70x7 Well-Known Member

Are you sure that it isn't a fake 32GB?? (If you didn't by it from a retail store)

If it was bought from Ebay, its probably fake like the one I just got and won't work right at all, or at least won't store more than about 2GB's of data

5. HumanMachine

HumanMachine Member This Topic's Starter

Nah I got it from in Store. SanDisk replaced my card. Smooth sailing ever since. Strange huh?